What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static port location

If you get the Van's static kit, it has instructions on placement and installation. I believe there's a one paragraph blurb in the manual as well somewhere. I dont have it handy. If nobody else posts with exact reference, I'll post again tonight.

Bruce - I checked the kit blurb before I asked. It indicates where to place for a -6, -7, -8, -9, but NOT a -4. I have looked at the plans though have to admit to being separated from my manual right now. Grateful if you could find a reference. Cheers.

I'm pretty sure (but could be wrong) that it doesn't appear in the plans, but rather in the manual in one of the drawings.

static port location

Steve, I'm showing SK-54 giving the location of the static port as 18" forward of the HS centered on the fuse.

How location sensitive are the static ports?

How location sensitive are the static ports? I ask because the 18" that Pete rightly mentioned puts me right on the bulkhead. Does an inch back or forward have much effect. (Presumably all -4 builders hit this?)

I ask because I do like good statics which lead to correct ASI.

Thanks.

Ports installed

I just put my ports in this summer. And yes, that is right near the bulkhead. Rule of thumb #1...to make it easy to work on in the future (this works on EVERYTHING your building). I know, there shouldn't be maintenance issues with the static ports. But, give yourself enough room behind the bulkhead to get your fingers back there. No problems if you move them back a little. That is just the life of the RV-4 builder. No "prepunched holes", not great details in the drawings at times. But what a great journey!!
Kel

Pitot Static photo

My static ports come through the bulkhead flange. The ports are lined up with the rivets. The bulkhead is your friend. See Photo

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Sincerely,
Brian Vickers, RV4, finishing

Any port in a storm...

Steve,
I located the Bandit's static ports on either side of the fuselage just above the rear cowl fairings using large pop rivets as the port and hooking the tubing to the back of the rivet shank.
Took a grand total of 30 minutes to install and has worked well for 1500 hours...

Smokey

Statics

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, I have taken on board that its not too sensitive to location - confirmed by Vans. I will put them just forward of the bulkhead and use blind rivets.

Thanks again.

Back