What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What does the rudder feel like in an RV?

Robin8er

Well Known Member
I got the rudder/elevator hooked up today on my RV 8. The rudder doesn't feel smooth. It feels gritty. I can feel the cable rubbing on the plastic grommets throughout the fuselage. Is that normal?

Is there supposed to be slack in the cables? I loosened the cable slightly by taking a couple washer out and it made a little play in the cable, but it still felt gritty.

Any help is appreciated.

Your feet take up the slack, so they are as tight as you push.
But, yes, there is some ?zling? as the cable strands slide over the bushings.
I put plastic sailboat stay covers over the portion in the cockpit area, more for looks than anything else but that area has some additional smoothness.

Yes thay do.

Yah, they do feel a little rubbingly at first. Once you get flying you will find that the adverse yaw is mostly canceled out by the design of the ailerons in the two seat RV's and you will not notice it that much. There are some nylon split bushings you can find in places like Spruce to replace the ones that Van's sends out with their kits. Those are a lot smoother and will wear better. The ones that come in the kit will last a long time as it is. I would not change them out tell you need to "down the road". Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

I installed rudder pedal return springs on my -6 & -7, they work well to keep cables taught and pedals centered. The right and left spring tension can also be adjusted to compensate for any needed rudder trim in cruise.

I agree with each reply above. Jake, any chance you could post a pic of your rudder pedal return springs. I tried a few times to achieve something like that and couldn't make it happen. Thanks.

over 3,000 RV Flying hours

I do not notice any of the issues above with rudder feel in any RV after more than 3,000 RV flight hours over the past 20+ years. Yes I have also flown Cessna, Mooney, Nanchang, Luscombe, Cub, Taylorcraft, T-18, and other aircraft that I do not remember over the 20+ years.

rudder smoothness

It has been a while since I tested my rudder, but I don't recall anything like that - I'd follow the cables and make sure that there is nothing wrong. There was a recent post about someone that had accidentally run the rudder cables through the wrong holes in the spar - might be something to check. Also, do you have rear seat rudder pedals?

450 hrs on my -8 with rear pedals and they have never felt "gritty""
... I would double check routing...

It takes a little for those blocks to wear in and smooth out.

I do not have return springs in my -9 and don't see a need for them.

On longer flights I flip the rudder bars up out of the way and stretch out.

Back