What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using Garmin Connext or do I need FlightStream

jeffsvan

Well Known Member
I was looking into purchasing a FlightStream 510 for my Garmin setup, but it is rather pricey. After reviewing my manuals, it appears I can do what I need just using Garmin Connext.

I have multiple Garmin devices in my panel, and my goal is to be able to simply program my flight plan into only ONE device, and it gets transferred to the others automatically.

In my panel I have a GTN650. It is hard wired to my Aera 660. My flight plan does get transferred automatically between these two when I enter it into the GTN650.

The Area 660 is hardwired (No Bluetooth) to my GDL393D ADSB antenna. I have an Ipad Pro with the Garmin Pilot App. It is connected via Bluetooth to the GDL393D antenna.

It would be great if I could enter a flight plan into the GTN650 and it gets transferred to BOTH the Aera 660 and the Ipad.

I tried following instructions in the Aera and Pilot manuals. I connected the Ipad and the Aera 660 via Bluetooth. But I am unable to transfer the flightplan from the 660 to the Ipad.
I tried automatically and manually sending the flight plan. The ipad is just not seeing it.

Any ideas?

Reach out to G3XPERT for the most up to date and accurate help. You will be amazed at how fast they answer emails.

[email protected]

They have the gear and can set it up exactly like your setup and walk thru it step by step to find the issue.

Last edited:
Flightstream 510

I believe that unless you're using the G3X Touch, you'll need the Flightstream to enable bluetooth communication to the GTN. I have a legacy G3X setup that doesn't have bluetooth capability and so use the Flightstream 510 to connect the iPad with the GTN. The GTN then shares the info with the rest of the EFIS system. If you're running Garmin Pilot on the iPad, then you get wireless database updates to the GTN as well. I'm using Foreflight, so I'm stuck with manual updates. If you decide you're in the market for Flightstream 510 - I'll sell mine for $950.

Back