What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spreadsheet/database for nose wheel collapse data

tsorce

I'm suggesting with all the talent on this website that we create a spreadsheet that shows all the existing data based on RV-As Issues with nose wheels collapse. We would need a moderator to manage the spreadsheet. I may not have expertise to make the spreadsheet easily available to users. But I would definitely help out by going through the old post for data.

Any interest?

Knowledge is power

I would be curious as part of this spreadsheet the portion of the aircraft weight and balance that was on the NLG. I know with with my O-320 and wooden prop my NLG loading is very low. Wonder if NLG loading has any factor on possible issues.

Excellent thought Curtis even with just the configuration information you might see a trend like my IO-360 w/CS vs your O-320 with wooden prop.

For those without obvious causes (such as off airport, big bounces, etc.) I personally am interested in only one column - which wheel bearing setup did the plane have? Thankfully, there have been very few the last several years since the mass switching out of axle/bearings.

It remains difficult to get hard information as to which axle/bearing setup those that have collapsed have.

If you have a tricycle RV 6,7,8 or 9, and do not know to what I'm referring, PLEASE read the many posts here over the last 4 or 5 years on the subject.

You will need to track runway surface (Grass, soft grass, taxiway, etc.), phase of flight (taxing, landing, takeoff, etc), amount of damage (flip over, prop strike & bent nose gear, etc.), speed, cause, if known (A few years ago a -6 flipped after hitting a rabbit with the nose gear while rolling out), W&B, and more.

That is in addition to the other items already listed.

This fairly screams for running a multivariate ANOVA, provided you have sufficient data to do it...

This fairly screams for running a multivariate ANOVA, provided you have sufficient data to do it...

Sufficient data and accurate data. Hearsay and opinions in the data will most likely skew the data to a wrong conclusion.

Other options

Yep, and don't forget to factor in if you are using a
castle nut & cotter pin on that nose gear!

I personally think that all that steel needs a
shock absorber at one end? Toothless Smile

Yep, and don't forget to factor in if you are using a
castle nut & cotter pin on that nose gear!

I personally think that all that steel needs a
shock absorber at one end? Toothless Smile

Doesn't every use castle nut & cotter pin on that nose gear now?

Last edited:
Back