What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 696 Cycling on and off

SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
Anybody had the experience where their 696 comes on for a few seconds and then turns off for a few seconds and then turns on for a few seconds............. ad infinitum? All while connected to ships power through a VP-200.

If so, how was it fixed?

shut it down.take out the battery. let it reset. start up with self power. then ships power. :) what are the results then?

Tested without ships power - totally dead. Internal batteries will need a recharge or replacement - very likely the issue although I would have thought it would operate fine with the internal batteries dead. Will take out tomorrow and try a reset/recharge. New battery pack $200! Ouch! Hope this recharges - never been used yet!

Thanks for the responses.

Last edited:
test the old battery and check its connection. also try to borrow a set to test your unit before spending $200.

Worked with this tonight. It is now working okay connected to external power although have not retested with the engine running. However when disconnected it is completely dead. When I shut it off manually while connected to external power - supposed to go into charge mode - it says "battery missing".

On Garmin's site it says:
If the GPS has been connected to aircraft power for a period of time and does not have a chance to operate on battery power, occasionally the GPS will not recognize its battery. If the GPS is frequently connected to aircraft power, it is important to allow the GPS to run solely on battery from time-to-time. Disconnecting the GPS from aircraft power, running the battery down, and then allowing the unit to charge fully, will prevent this message from appearing and allow the GPS to exercise its full battery potential.

This is clearly my problem, I was unaware this was an issue. Can't find anywhere that says how to fix this - don't even know for sure if it is a battery problem or a device problem. I updated the software on the device but that did not help.

Talked to Stein today - he confirmed the battery has to be replaced. I should have taken better care of it, live and learn.

On Garmin's site it says:
If the GPS has been connected to aircraft power for a period of time and does not have a chance to operate on battery power, occasionally the GPS will not recognize its battery. If the GPS is frequently connected to aircraft power, it is important to allow the GPS to run solely on battery from time-to-time. Disconnecting the GPS from aircraft power, running the battery down, and then allowing the unit to charge fully, will prevent this message from appearing and allow the GPS to exercise its full battery potential.

Any idea how long you need to run on the internal battery? My 696 runs for 30 sec (via its internal shutdown logic) every time I shut it off. Battery is 3.5 years old and seems to be ok.

-John

Any idea how long you need to run on the internal battery?

Garmin says to "run it down" which indicates to me that it should be operated for a few hours on the battery. I intend to do this with the new battery - I can switch this off from ship's power via the VP200.

FYI, I am not sure in my case if the battery didn't just go completely flat and won't come back. I understand if they go flat enough they die completely. Mine has been sitting doing nothing for a few years with the odd startup when I boot up the panel from time to time. First flight will be in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Garmin says to "run it down" which indicates to me that it should be operated for a few hours on the battery. I intend to do this with the new battery - I can switch this off from ship's power via the VP200.

FYI, I am not sure in my case if the battery didn't just go completely flat and won't come back. I understand if they go flat enough they die completely. Mine has been sitting doing nothing for a few years with the odd startup when I boot up the panel from time to time. First flight will be in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Thanks, I'll run it on battery power on my next local flight.

-John

Tested without ships power - totally dead. Internal batteries will need a recharge or replacement - very likely the issue although I would have thought it would operate fine with the internal batteries dead. Will take out tomorrow and try a reset/recharge. New battery pack $200! Ouch! Hope this recharges - never been used yet!

Thanks for the responses.

$200 for a battery pak... That is a total rip off! What is Garmin thinking? :confused:

Back