What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Charlotte Area Hangar Homes

f1rocket

Well Known Member
There is a possibility that my wife and I might be moving to North Carolina in the future. Before I begin searching some of the websites dedicated to airport homes, I'm looking for recommendations for good airport communities in and around Charlotte. Any suggestions?

There is a possibility that my wife and I might be moving to North Carolina in the future. Before I begin searching some of the websites dedicated to airport homes, I'm looking for recommendations for good airport communities in and around Charlotte. Any suggestions?

Randy,
Come on to NC25 and poke around. While hanger homes are not allowed, homes with hangers are. There are a couple of properties for sale, and a few lots for sale. I have a couple of lots for sale here. Come by anytime, stay at my place, and poke around. You are welcome anytime.

Long Island NC26 is north of Charlotte on Lake Norman. Couple of RVs, and restoration projects on the field. EAA309 secretary lives there. 3000', lighted, smooth grass.
Aero Plantation NC21 is southeast of Charlotte. At least one RV on the field. 2300', paved, sloping. Never got used to landing there at night! Have a friend that lives at Aero and has a place at Long Island for his boat. Commute to downtown from either is 30-60 minutes due to traffic.

Hi Randy, I sent you a pm. I live in Charlotte and have been looking at airpark homes. Feel free to give me a call. I also have plenty of room if you need a place to stay on a house hunting trip. It's a great area for RV's!
George

Thank you all for the offers and the info. Planning a trip down this Summer to check things out in person. In the mean time, I'll do some checking online.

Charlotte

Do you know where you will be living? if in the north side. follow Kahuna;s recommendation and or KJQF

if in Charlotte Metro...you have KJQF, kEQY, kUZA (all inside B ring) all nice airports. hangars are $$$$$ there. Forget about KCLT...they don't want you there!

If in the Ballantine area I will definitely consider KEQY and or KLKR. KLKR has Cheap taxes, t hangars and a few enclosed hangars left as well. Grat airspace in and out, etc...

there are 4 RV's in KLKR. RV4, RV7, RV8A and RV8 Fast Back

NC25............nice!

Kahuna, I had to check out your place..........sounds like a little slice of heaven!

.... Oh wait, Long Island NC26...another livin' h3ll! so you tell me that I can live there, with my floatplane tied at my dock, and my RV in the hangar...but I might have to put it on skiis for part of the winter!?!?!

( maybe if I stop paying my taxes, and put it all under the mattress!!!) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Kahuna, I had to check out your place..........sounds like a little slice of heaven!

.... Oh wait, Long Island NC26...another livin' h3ll! so you tell me that I can live there, with my floatplane tied at my dock, and my RV in the hangar...but I might have to put it on skiis for part of the winter!?!?!

( maybe if I stop paying my taxes, and put it all under the mattress!!!) :rolleyes:

Wrong Long Island. The one he is talking about is just north of Charlotte, NC. It is a really cool place.

Of course, having lived in Charlotte for 18 years, I recently moved to SC86, just west of Greenville, SC.

Here are a couple of videos taken there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc8omAjU2_U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8D0lVZSR1Y

One thing to mention on aero plantation. The land is in area that has become one of the more desirable places to live in CLT. It is slowly being taken over by non pilots. There are rumors some of the homeowners want the runway gone and the land converted to other uses. Pilots are now the minority there. The long term viability of the runway may be a issue. I would research it carefully before making a offer on a runway home there.

George

There are several RV's based at Rock Hill, SC (KUZA), which is just south of Charlotte. 5000 foot lighted runway with ILS and GPS/LPV approaches.

Private enclosed hangars there rent for around $350/month, and sell in the $45K to $55K range depending upon size. The hard part is finding one for sale or rent.....they are in demand these days.

There are several RV's based at Rock Hill, SC (KUZA), which is just south of Charlotte...

Ummm....

Not an airpark and stupid expensive fuel prices.

About the only real advantage is you won't have to pay NC property taxes on your RV.

Back