What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire Extinguisher Position

Laterally in the big U-channel between and behind the seats. Easy to reach, yet out of the way. Alternatively, you could mount it on the console between the occupants' footwells, but I have Van's optional map holder located there. I also like keeping this console area free of anything that would interfere with my stretching my right leg out on long cross-countries!

I put an adhesive Velcro band around my small halon extinguisher and just stick it to the carpet aft of the center console.

Extinguisher Hard Mounted

On the floor upslope ahead of the fuel valve, next to the canopy breaker (hopefully you have a canopy breaker too). The velcro strap to carpet is clever, but I wonder if the extinguisher becomes a missile in a crash. Ours is bracket mounted.

I try to securely locate (sorry, no Velcro) my emergency supplies within easy reach of a pilot/passenger suspended upside-down and confused in an inverted airframe. My emergency egress kit contains my Halon-type fire extinguisher in a quick-release mount, a multi-task knife, work gloves, and a pair of broad-nosed pliers (IMHO, pliers and gloves may prove more useful than a breaker bar in removing portions of a shattered plastic canopy). The latter two items will hopefully prove useful in removing sufficient portions of the canopy to egress in style -- at least that is my thinking.

ps -- A shovel would be nice as well, but perhaps a bit too much. Better to spend your time and money on pilot proficiency and aircraft maintenance. :)

Last edited:
Fire ext

Mounted on the floor, the upslope of the tunnel.

I have one of those little hammers too, but I think the fire extinguisher might be a better canopy breaker.

I figure that in a turnover the canopy will likely already be broken and a breaker-tool will not be as useful as pliers/gloves in clearing away already broken shards of plexiglas. The breaker-tool might have little effect on the broken large flexible pieces of plexiglas. To each his/her own -- hopefully we won't have to use these tools!

I figure that in a turnover the canopy will likely already be broken and a breaker-tool will not be as useful as pliers/gloves in clearing away already broken shards of plexiglas. The breaker-tool might have little effect on the broken large flexible pieces of plexiglas. To each his/her own -- hopefully we won't have to use these tools!

You also have to assume there will be limited room to swing such a hammer, maybe 12" at the most. I doubt you can get enough momentum up in that short distance to break anything with one of those hammers.

However, I would love to be proven wrong.

As to the OP's question, I mounted my fire extinguisher in front of the spar, on the passenger's side. It is out of the way and easy to reach. I have no idea if this location will work with a -12 or not.

Back