What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel injector unit for Superior IO 382

gafitts

Has anyone used the bigger fuel injector unit for the Superior IO 382 instead or the standard Bendix unit? I know its a major modification to the lower cowl. Was wondering how much more HP you get for all that work.
Gregg

The Bendix fuel servo is the same for 4 and 6 cylinder Lycomings. Don at AirFlow Performance can set it up for any Lycoming from my understanding?

Yes, call Don at AFP and see if you should use something like his FM-200 vs the FM-150. The latter is typical for O-320-360, 150-185 HP and the former is typical for ~200 HP engines and up.

He also has options for mounting the servo horizontally on a vertical sump, which is typical on 6 cyl rockets. I have the horizontal setup on my O-360-A4M with vertical sump.

Last edited:
Yes, call Don at AFP and see if you should use something like his FM-200 vs the FM-150. The latter is typical for O-320-360, 150-185 HP and the former is typical for ~200 HP engines and up.

He also has options for mounting the servo horizontally on a vertical sump, which is typical on 6 cyl rockets. I have the horizontal setup on my O-360-A4M with vertical sump.

Ray: Are you using one of Airflows elbows?

Don Broussard

Ray: Are you using one of Airflows elbows?

Don Broussard

Yes. Here is a preliminary photo when I was working on fitting everything together. I ended up going to the Trombone exhaust (Vetterman) and removing the top phenolic block for cowl clearance. Another, larger phenolic block was sanded at an angle (1/4" on upper right to 3/8" on lower left) to get the offset filter to line up with the cowl air inlet (3rd photo is pre fix). Still had to put a small bubble on the left side of the cowl for filter clearance.

This will all change when I can spend the money on a Superior Cold Air Sump but I am happy with the setup.

ijHbTMCl.jpg

rL7lEPdl.jpg

4hpsQ6ql.jpg

Last edited:
Back