What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

?Shout out for Jeff @ Lycoming Thunderbolt?

Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
Long winded but worth telling ...

I started my research into purchasing an engine for my RV14 early last summer. During Oshkosh I did the usual rounds of all the vendors and stopped by Lycoming to discuss their engines and the options available. Jeff Schans (Thunderbolt Sales Mgr) was working the floor. I was just one of many wandering through the booth that day. Jeff took almost an hour going over everything available both for their stock engine offerings and the Thunderbolt option. At the end of the day, I bite the bullet and ordered the I0-390 Thunderbolt through Van’s.

Through the autumn life got unexpectedly busy and I asked if I could go to the back of the Oshkosh orders as I came across a great deal for a Hangar that needed a some updating and winterizing. I asked several times for an extension ... each time .... never an issue.

After Xmas I got a couple of emails from Jeff to confirm configuration, colours and pickup details as my build approached.

Fast forward to last week, finally time to take delivery. Drove down from the Toronto. Arriving at the factory mid-afternoon, Jeff met us at the front door and proceeded to give us a great tour of the plant. Introduced me to the Gentlemen who built my engine. Very evident they are proud of their product and workmanship!

I had made arrangements to pick up my engine first thing in the morning. Woke up to a nasty snowstorm. No problem, Jeff met us at shipping with the crate winterized for the 5 hr drive north. That evening got a text just checking to make sure the engine and Crew made it home safe.

The customer service I received from Jeff & Lycoming was outstanding. His enthusiasm and knowledge (he is a A&P/IA) for his Thunderbolt engine was awesome. Thanks Jeff!

Leaving Williamsport with my baby on board..

2rclf12.jpg

Last edited:
I'm currently working on the engine decision for my 14A, I'm going with Lycoming. What are the benefits of the Thunderbolt over the stock engine? Any advise other than the info on their website will be helpful.

I'm currently working on the engine decision for my 14A, I'm going with Lycoming. What are the benefits of the Thunderbolt over the stock engine? Any advise other than the info on their website will be helpful.

The IO-390 from Thunderbolt is the stock Lycoming engine for the RV-14.

The new deal between Thunderbolt and Van's allows you to order it with two mags, a pMag and a mag, or a pMag nothing else in the other hole (that is what I ordered).

If you get the empty mag hole you can add your own second pMag. That way you don't have mags to sell. Tell Jeff to include the mag gear that goes with the mag that is missing so you can install it on the pMag.

Carl

Kevin,

The question about paying for the added features offered by the Thunderbolt series by Lycoming ranks right up there with the ?primer wars? with regards to value added.

When I spoke with the various engine vendors (Barrett, Aerosport, Lycon) they were all offering the similar upgrades over the stock Lycoming package. The Thunderbolt package gave me a custom engine built to higher tolerances with a Factory Lycoming warranty and support for a similar price point. For me, I thought it was worth it.

Cheers Jim

Side note ... I also epoxy primed my project ;-)

The IO-390 from Thunderbolt is the stock Lycoming engine for the RV-14.

The new deal between Thunderbolt and Van's allows you to order it with two mags, a pMag and a mag, or a pMag nothing else in the other hole (that is what I ordered).

If you get the empty mag hole you can add your own second pMag. That way you don't have mags to sell. Tell Jeff to include the mag gear that goes with the mag that is missing so you can install it on the pMag.

Carl

Actually you can order a regular Lycoming from Vans with a Pmag or one pmag and no slick, they give you $500 credit for removing the slick.

Hi Ray,

I don’t think it’s the certified version that Van’s designed the RV14 around. Both versions are experimental. Here is their offerings from Oshkosh last year.

Cheers Jim

ezlqwn.jpg

Last edited:
I received my M1B two weeks ago through the Van's engine/prop program and worked with Jeff. He communicated well and was very informative about the options I was interested in as well as the timing for manufacturing and delivery. I am very pleased with the experience.

I?m guessing there were a lot of Lycoming orders this past Osh.

Looking like 26 weeks to ship my TB IO-360, ordered end of August.

Jeff Schans

Kevin,

The question about paying for the added features offered by the Thunderbolt series by Lycoming ranks right up there with the ?primer wars? with regards to value added.

I ordered the Thunderbolt engine after talking to my A&P friend and Jeff Schans at Oshkosh. I think the convincer for me was Jeff telling me there were only two guys building the Thunderbolt engines vs. a "normal" assembly line. He said the Thunderbolt builders were as proud of their engines as we were of our projects.

BTW, I was very impressed with the communications I received from Jeff Schans during the building process. He is a first-class guy.

I wrote an article for KP that was published last summer on the Thunderbolt engine, which you can probably read in the KP archives if you are interested. I now have 160 hours on mine in the RV-10. Balanced to .01 IPS, it feels turbine smooth. I am very happy with it. One mag, one Lightspeed, and Don's Airflow Performance injection system. Starts the same cold or hot. :)

Vic

I wrote an article for KP that was published last summer on the Thunderbolt engine, which you can probably read in the KP archives if you are interested.

Vic, thanks for mentioning that. Went back and scanned last summer's issues and realized that I never downloaded or read the September issue in which your article was published.

I don?t think it?s the certified version that Van?s designed the RV14 around. Both versions are experimental. Here is their offerings from Oshkosh last year.

Jim, I think I got a little confused. I had it in my mind that, if you wanted an experimental Lycoming, it had to come from Thunderbolt. Apparently, and I think reasonably, that's not correct. For an experimental version, all they have to do is not install a data plate, I would guess. But, if you want a "premium-built" engine, you get it through the Thunderbolt line.

Just noticed something on Van's website that adds slightly to the confusion. On the engine order page, they are all listed as "X(I)O-" engines while the show price list identifies them as "Y(I)O-" engines. Probably a meaningless distinction.

Back