What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto or Sensenich FP?

Reilly

Hi Guys

After a nose-over due to a bad landing and front wheel collapse, I am in the market for a new prop......amongst other stuff.

My plane was built in the USA in 2006 and now lives in South Africa on a grass/gravel strip.

I want to stay with the fixed pitch but have been advised to go for the vans recommended Sensenich ali prop due to it being lower maintenance.

I really like the look of the Catto 3 blade prop. It runs smooth and I can get it with the nickel leading edges.

I did a search for info but most threads seem to be old and I am not sure what development has taken place since.

So which way do I go? The feeling here in RSA is that maintenance on the Catto is more difficult.

Will the nickel leading edges prevent damage enough for me to warrant it for consideration?

Your input and advise will be appreciated.

I would say you are much more likely to find a prop shop to work on a metal prop than one that will work on a Catto in South Africa. As popular as the Catto is, and better performance, I may still recommend a Sensenich. It also may work nicely to get a Sensenich ground adjustable prop with the metal leading edge and keep an extra blade on hand just in case you pick up a big nick.

I would say you are much more likely to find a prop shop to work on a metal prop than one that will work on a Catto in South Africa. As popular as the Catto is, and better performance, I may still recommend a Sensenich. It also may work nicely to get a Sensenich ground adjustable prop with the metal leading edge and keep an extra blade on hand just in case you pick up a big nick.

Very true but you can almost buy 2 CATTO composite props for the price of 1 Sensenich aluminum prop. Only pay one shipping to South Africa and have a complete spare if something were to happen. Just my 2 cents.

:cool:

The Catto props are only $1,500 with the metal leading edge? The Sensenich is $3,300 with a spacer and bolts.

Catto

i have a three blade catto, love it would not trade for anything. Smooth, looks great, nice performance and very nice folks to do business with.

When you get some chips, its very very easy to fix yourself. I have over 600hrs and over 70 different airports. Gravel, grass and lots of hard surface in various conditions. You wont be sorry with Catto. Wish it was as pretty as when new but i built it to fly.

The Catto props are only $1,500 with the metal leading edge? The Sensenich is $3,300 with a spacer and bolts.

Interesting, the Sensenich site shows aluminum props starting at $4,700.00 while the CATTO prop I bought in 2014 cost me $2,850.00 direct from CATTO. But like I said in my prior post "you can almost buy 2 CATTO composite props for the price of 1 Sensenich aluminum prop"

http://www.sensenich.com/products/browse/14/5/216:179/0
http://store.cubcrafters.com/Catto-Propeller-72-43-Pitch_p_1295.html

:confused:

Last edited:
We replaced our sensenich with catto three blade on our 180hp RV 6. In under 100 hours the nickel edge cracked up in a number of places and the guys at Catto sent us a new one. However we put the Sensenich back on. in my opinion they are much more durable.

Paul

Perhaps consider the Sensenich ground adjustable?

I haven't had the opportunity to fly behind one yet but composite smoothness and ground adjustable goodness sounds like a big plus. Also, shipping a single blade or part should be cheaper in theory (if something were to happen.)

Stan

We replaced our sensenich with catto three blade on our 180hp RV 6. In under 100 hours the nickel edge cracked up in a number of places and the guys at Catto sent us a new one. However we put the Sensenich back on. in my opinion they are much more durable.
Paul

Were the leading edge cracks on a fiberglas prop or carbon fiber?
My original fiberglas prop had the metal leading edges added and cracked.
Craig sent me a more modern carbon fiber with metal leading edge and there have been absolutely no problems with it.

Ive flown with sensi fixed, catto, and sensi GA

Ive flown all three of the above mentioned props...if it werent for the 2600 rpm restriction on the metal prop i would still have it on my airplane.

Very good propellor...
Infact I wish I had it back..the WB with that prop was perfect and it was better at cruise at 2600 than both the other props.
Cm

Catto

It was a fiber glass prop. We think it had a flex problem , unsure. We have a new Catto in the box so we may try again some day, for now its sensenich

It was a fiber glass prop. We think it had a flex problem , unsure. We have a new Catto in the box so we may try again some day, for now its sensenich

Yep, It appears that the fiberglas props flex too much for the metal leading edge. I have one hanging on my office wall.
Haven't seen the problem on the newer carbon fiber props.

I've flown both on my 9a/9. Advantages of the sensenich FP: more robust with rocks/gravel etc.; probably easier to find someone to work on it; gave me better CG (but that may not apply to your situation); easier to ship or handle than a 3-blade. Advantages of the Catto: shorter blades (less chance to pick up gravel); lighter weight (may affect your CG); easy to fix minor dings yourself; runs smoother. I've seen very little difference in climb or cruise performance between the two, though the Catto will static run a bit higher RPM.

I personally like the Catto a bit better because of the shorter blades and smoother running.

Probably ok with either choice (or the ground-adjustable, with which I have no experience).

Note that I'm running these on an IO360, not a 320. There was no rpm limitation on the Sensenich on my Superior 360.

Greg

There are a couple more advantages to composite props that haven't been mentioned.

1) less engine "waggle" on startup/shutdown, so a little easier on mounts, wiring, plumbing...and baffling for those who hang the oil cooler off the No. 4 cylinder's sheet metal.

2) if you are unlucky enough to have a prop strike, the composites are far kinder to the crankshaft. Of course, an engine tear-down is still required.

I went composite partly because I was so impressed with how smooth the engine felt on a friend's so-equipped RV.

Back