What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why are you not going to OSH 2013?

Why are you not @ the show?

• Can't spare the money (need the $$ for fwf)

Votes: 43 23.4%
  • Family obligation

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Can't get away from work

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • Too far (to drive? to fly?)

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Not interested (for whatever reason)

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • Other

Votes: 35 19.0%

• Total voters

plehrke

Well Known Member
Patron
For us staying home, it would be interesting to find out why.
I will be missing my first show since starting my build 15 years ago. Sort of getting a little withdrawl already and finding myself going to the webcam when ever I get on line. The show has not even started yet.
My reason is getting a bit burned out and wife no longer goes to show. Also have big milestone at Dad' house in northern MN this week so need to fly up for that.

Last edited:
Lack of vacation time. Used a week for SnF, a week for the 4th (traditional family gathering), I will use a week for my sons wedding because we are pretty heavily involved in it, and lastly I am EAA chapter Pres and we are hosting the B-17 this year. I'll use some vacation for that. Leaves me one day left. :(

I'm still trying

Being trying since last friday afternoon.

Just finished rebuilding the engine on my -4 so wanted to put some hrs on it before I crossed the lake then the weather moved in..:rolleyes:

Will try again on Tuesday..

Bruno

Reasons

Done building nothing I need, afraid of what I might see and buy!

Big east coast trip planned in 2 weeks, saving vacation time and avgas funds for that.

Kids are at a great age, feel bad taking too much time away from them and only built a two seater so.....back to the pool. Will miss it though. Love just being around airplanes and airplane people.

As much as I love flying, I've never been interested in Oshkosh. I'm not into crowds, camping and iffy weather.

Wasn't my turn to pick vacation destination. :eek:

not everyone in our house is ga-ga over camping for a week with 10000 airplanes. ...i know crazy huh.:D

Not in the market for steak knives, folding ladders, tractors, cars, bizjets, jet trucks....

I hear that even the warbird guys aren't too excited.

Multiple Factors

I've never been, here's a random order list why I'm home this week:
- Leave allowance for 2013 already gone.
- Intimidated to fly in the traffic density (would prefer to right seat with a veteran, at least the first time)
- Nervous about plane being damaged
- Repeat of SunNFun 2011 twister/aftermath/unexpected bills
- VAF informs me of new products, user feedback, troubleshooting help
- Doesn't seem OSH is the place to see something really unique like a new 787
- Don't need to complete any major purchases

I'd like to fly-in at least once, and stay with air conditioning, hot water, a bed and a kitchen, and less than a daily 1 hour drive in/out.

Carl

As I stated in another thread, I have to admit that I wish I could have gone.

However, our 4 grand kids (ages 5 to 8) from Texas are here for the summer and that trumps OSH..... But just a little:D:D

Maybe next year. I am only a short distance from Sun n Fun and I have made it there the last 12 years. I used to go to OSH every year when I lived in Ohio. It would be great to fly back with the -6 that I built. That was the goal when I first started building. I remember being mesmerized when I counted 100 RVs on the field.

Didn't decide to go until February or so... by then a room at Motel 6 was $350+ and SWMBO does not camp. Didn''t feel like driving an hour each way every day to stay in Green Bay or wherever to get s reasonably priced room. Next year.

And, looking at the weather... I'm OK with waiting.

Going to Afghanistan in less than 2 weeks and have to get ready. I thought for sure I'd get to go this year. Oh well. Next year I hope.

Haven't made the trip since 2010 and can't say that I miss the noise and crowds. About once every ten years is about right for me. I attended my first EAA convention in 1969 when it was still at Rockford, so perhaps I've just become another crusty old codger. OK, I know I have. ;)

No Go Because

I went to SnF this year would not have gone if I had known that they where paying FAA for controllers not going to OSH because of that fact for two of the ones that say there are fighting User Fees and then lay down and pay is unbelivable and does not deserve members support they just gave everyone user fees.
Bob:(

🚁💦🔥 working. Fire Season and "all hands on deck"

Went for the first time last year (flew RV in too-great joy. I'm mean fun!) with my better half. Even she liked it. Good people.

It's spendy flying from West side to WI but if money isn't an issue (which it often is for us regular working types without BBJ's or Citation X's) I'd like to return when my work schedule & piggy bank allow.

Hope to meet some of you guys there. :)

My wife and I really love Oshkosh, just trying to get the airplane done this month. Only taking 2 years and 8 months to build slow build wings and quick build fuselage and all the money spent this year we just have to slow down, but planning on being there next year and the year after........in our aircraft.
Being a corporate pilot and doing the arrival up there last year in a Tri Pacer was not an issue just followed the notam which was quite easy. This was
the first VFR flight X/C that I have done in 30 years and had a great time. My wife loved it too.

Smilin' Jack and Anita

Thank You

Going to Afghanistan in less than 2 weeks and have to get ready. I thought for sure I'd get to go this year. Oh well. Next year I hope.

Ryan, thank you for your service and sacrifice to keep us safe. Here's to going to OSH next year!

Going to Sturgis instead for 1 year. Will be back next year.
Will miss the guys and some already called.

Well I'm here in Oshkosh in the Super 8 (Motel)

I flew in the race yesterday from Mt. Vernon, IL. Each racer got a week admission wristband but I gave mine back. I just don't think I have interest anymore and I'm not sure when I lost it - I think age has something to do with it. I'm not normally a "me too" person but last night I went to the awards dinner at Went's Marina and the camaraderie glow came on a bit. It was good to see people I have come to know acknowledged by having their speeds announced even though only the top three in each class received awards - the awards themselves are a minor part of the event. I can't really say it is an experience because it is after a time just a repeating function. The get together did not have that obligatory attendance feeling about it, it was a genuine pleasant event.

When I was young, airshows were terriffic wide eyed experiences for me. Aviation was a very dynamic "thing." New fighters were coming out all the time and a real airplane fan had to scan whatever media was available to stay up with developments but that is no longer true. When I see airplanes that were produced by companies I worked for it brings on a good feeling but that is not the same as seeing someting new that takes the art/science to a new level. After decades of evolution in the 1940s through the 1960s the configurations are pretty much set. I saw my first "air superiority blue & day glow orange" flight test F-15 in flight in St. Louis in 1972 and in 2013 it is still a very impressive airplane.

I just pulled back my window shade and looked at the grass by runway 9's corner of the field and I see more airplnes than the last time I looked yesterday after checking in. That makes me feel good - I like to see the evidence of "LIFE" in aviation. It gives me a good feeling being near it but I think AirVenture is more for young people that have boundless energy for walking to see all the things they have never seen before; the older folks that remember when they were the front liners in the countries time of need; those in between that want to hold on to their youth; the campers that enjoy their annual tent & airplane community experiences; etc.

I don't fit into any of those groups and after a few visits I do not feel the desire to participate so I do not. And yet, I know if I went, I would enjoy the electricity generated by the excited happy participants, seeing things I recognize and rembering when ... AirVenture is unique and participation can generate life experiences. Maybe I should buy a day at the airport but a friend in the race had a problem at Dixon, IL and I flew him the rest of the way here. He is getting parts this morning and I will fly him back. Once I'm sure he is airworthy I'll continue on home. It is satisfying someway to see his enthusiasm for making the repair and getting back to Oshkosh.

Bob Axsom

Well my reason is a bit different. I had a free trip offer there and back in a Cherokee, but decided not to go. In my old age (240% combat disabled), I need one of those battery powered carts to get around in. The price has been going up every year, now $65 a day! I can rent a car for $9.99 a day! I have communicated with EAA over this, they see it as a cash cow, offer a rental company exclusive rights to rent for a huge fee, and let them pass it on to the old folks, and since it is so profitable, they have no desire or intent to change it, in fact it just went up from $50 a day to $65 a day! I even suggested allowing competition, no way they say. It is almost like they conspire to limit old folks attendance. I drove last year and brought my own cart, but 4500 mile round trip is just too much driving. I see this as a bit silly, us old guy builders have lots of spare cash to spend there at the vendors, but EAA says we need to stay home. It would seem to make sense if the vendors got together and provided the carts free!

NOT good EAA... :-(

Don,
Sorry to hear about this. A disabled COMBAT vet, and they won't cut you a break? Yet they feel free to use the warbirds to attract the $$$ from all the non building/flying John Does out there? I get that it's become a business, but....REALLY? :-/
You deserve better Don. Completely unsat... (IMNSHO)
Thank you for your service.
Rant mode "off" now. Switching to de-caf
Dennis

Well my reason is a bit different. I had a free trip offer there and back in a Cherokee, but decided not to go. In my old age (240% combat disabled), I need one of those battery powered carts to get around in. The price has been going up every year, now $65 a day! I can rent a car for $9.99 a day! I have communicated with EAA over this, they see it as a cash cow, offer a rental company exclusive rights to rent for a huge fee, and let them pass it on to the old folks, and since it is so profitable, they have no desire or intent to change it, in fact it just went up from $50 a day to $65 a day! I even suggested allowing competition, no way they say. It is almost like they conspire to limit old folks attendance. I drove last year and brought my own cart, but 4500 mile round trip is just too much driving. I see this as a bit silly, us old guy builders have lots of spare cash to spend there at the vendors, but EAA says we need to stay home. It would seem to make sense if the vendors got together and provided the carts free!

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. It is not like I am looking for a free handout, just not to be identified as one that should be ripped off because they can.
Then again, at 76 I am grateful for the many AirventuresI have attended, going way back to the first ones, fond memories that cannot be taken away.
After crying in my beer over this, a month or so ago I think I may have a solution. I am going to try to volunteer for something or the other for a job that comes with a golf cart or scooter. Who knows?

Last edited:
I was going to go, but I decided I'd rather spend the money to get my Instrument ticket finished up.

Passed my check ride last Wednesday!

-Dan

Deployed

I had planned on flying back for the first time in my RV but I am in Poland teaching basic training in F-16's. Next year I guess...should be a little faster trip than I am used to in my dad's supercub

Multiple factors...

Work, I'm on call this week; Went to S-N-F and and spent a boatload of AMU's on engine, prop, finish kit, and Stein; I don't need to make any other decisions right now; And, Spousal unit no longer working... However, I am missing it a lot more than I thought I would, but not as bad as I was before Don said they no longer have the donuts in the morning.

Last edited:
New Arrival

My firstborn arrived July 4. Seemed a bit early to take him. Next year for sure!

i-wL3QTS5-M.jpg

Drove from C75 to MVC to care for aging Mom this week. It is a one week per month rotation for siblings. My distance is about 200X the distance as others.

Too bad the 7 is not ready :(

On the bright side I did pass through Mt Vernon at 11 am yesterday, but chose not to visit the Airventure race start.

Goal: Plane finished for 2014 AirVenture/OSH.

I last attended in 1986 and didn't care for the crowds. I'm betting it isn't any better now. I may attend once more when I finish the-7; it almost seems like an obligation.

Saving the budgeted flying unit's for a trip out to the Reno Air Race in Sept. Heck of a flight from NC. OSH next year.

Jusy as well

On the bright side I did pass through Mt Vernon at 11 am yesterday, but chose not to visit the Airventure race start.

For the first time that I can remember we were flagged off on time be cause VMC prevailed over the entire course. I bet it was an exciting sight fo those that were able to see the start this year. We took off on runway 23 and mad a teardrop turn to the left and came bacdk smokin' across the "23" numbers and continued north toward Dixon (C73) for the first turn (1 degree). Dixon was the first no penalty fuel stop and quite a few racers took advantage of it.

GREAT RACE. I suspect 2014 will be out of Mitchell, South Dakota.

Bob Axsom

never been, never will. Nothing in OSH I need to know about to keep an RV in the air.

Steven
800+ RV-3 hours
(four more yesterday!)

Back