What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling Elevator AEX trailing edge wedge

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I seem to remember someone asking this question before, but can't find it...

For the elevator trailing edges, the AEX comes undrilled. Instructions say to draw a reference line 7/32 to 1/4" from FORWARD edge of AEX and drill on that line.

If I do so, the AEX sticks out significantly beyond the trailing edges of the elevator skins. Is this normal? Is it left there or is it eventually ground down to be flush with the edges of the skins?

Any suggestions?

thanks,
Steve

use the force to guide you

There's no need to have it sticking out much. Make it look good and you'll be money. Just watch out for putting a hook in the trailing edge, easy to do on the elevators.

Reviving this thread from the dead. I?m in the same boat with the trailing edge wedge. When I draw the line as the plans suggest, the wedge protrudes from the trailing edge by 3/32?. What is the consensus on this? Do I ignore the plans and just line up the trailing edge of the skin and wedge and get to drilling or do I follow the plans and then file off the extra wedge later? Thanks!

my take

I left mine sticking out. For me, if the trailing edge is made flush, the countersink on each side would hit. I figure it is better to have it stick out than to compromise the double flush rivets.

If you like, I think one could take a file and file the APEX to be flush with the skins. this would leave a slightly blunt edge, but I think that's OK aerodynamically.

Ok, that’s kind of the way I’m leaning. Thanks for the reply. How was the alignment with the trim tab with the wedge sticking out? I found another thread about this and it looks like your answer is the consensus. Onward I go!

Last edited:
Back