What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ACS A-510-2 Wiring

Zazoos

Well Known Member
Wiring this switch has me a bit confused. Seems like it should be straight forward, but ....

Question: (don't laugh, i goggled the **** out of this without any luck)
1. Which magneto is left when sitting in the plane?

The instructions that came with the switch say to connect terminal 5 to nearest structural member and use shielded wire. However, the following article located here, http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/MagnetoSwitchOptions.pdf in the next to last paragraph says p-lead shields should be grounded to the air frame/engine at the engine end.

FYI: I have the Bogert P-Leads from Aircraft Spruce.

Questions:
2. Should both ground wires from the magnetos go to Terminal 5 (ground)? 3. Should a separate shielded ground wire run from terminal 5 to the air
frame structure?

If I go by the Aeroeletric article (linked above) it appears that I only run ground wires from the magneto to the switch and no other ground wire is required.

Thank you,

Wiring this switch has me a bit confused. Seems like it should be straight forward, but ....

Question: (don't laugh, i goggled the **** out of this without any luck)
1. Which magneto is left when sitting in the plane?

The instructions that came with the switch say to connect terminal 5 to nearest structural member and use shielded wire. However, the following article located here, http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/MagnetoSwitchOptions.pdf in the next to last paragraph says p-lead shields should be grounded to the air frame/engine at the engine end.

FYI: I have the Bogert P-Leads from Aircraft Spruce.

Questions:
2. Should both ground wires from the magnetos go to Terminal 5 (ground)? 3. Should a separate shielded ground wire run from terminal 5 to the air
frame structure?

If I go by the Aeroeletric article (linked above) it appears that I only run ground wires from the magneto to the switch and no other ground wire is required.

Thank you,

Hi Trent

For the p lead wiring use shielded wire and terminate the shield of both the left and right mag wires at the center ground terminal on the switch. You want to run the right mag p lead to the R terminal on the switch. Run the left mag p lead to the L terminal. Lastly run a wire from the center ground terminal to the airframe ground bus. The Ground terminal right next to the R terminal is for a jumper to be installed which disables the right mag when starting if using a impulse mag on the left

Bill

Left right usually means, as seen by the pilot when seated in his normal seat. I find it easier for some reason to think of port (left) and starboard (right). They don't change when the pilot turns around!

Thank you both for the help.

Should the ground wire from the center tab to the ground bus be shielded?

Thank you again,

Back