What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8A ADS-B Solution - Looking for Feedback

pvalovich

Well Known Member
After what seems like endless data gathering, analysis and forum feedback I've narrowed my ADS-B options to two:
1. EchoUAT/SkyFYX with SkyFYX mounted on glareshield; UAT inputs AFS 4500 and IPad.
2. Garmin AERA660 / GDL 52R / GDL 82

Not looking to start an ADS-B or Garmin/UAT war - just soliciting feedback from folks who have installed either of these systems regarding lessons learned, and installation/operational issues.

Either one would work fine, but

The uAvionix solution would be "neater" (all in one -- out and in)---- I have the uAvionix system, as you describe, hooked to my AFS 5600T, and an iFly 740 and an iPad -- works just fine.

I am impressed with the G82 solution for "out" -- I think a lot of folks will go that way.

Ron

You're right, there's a lot of options to choose from and sometimes it gets a little overwhelming. I think a lot of it boils down to 1. what do you already have, 2. where you're going to go, and 3. what you want.

1. So the first question, what do you already have? Do you already have a WAAS position source such as 625 or 650? If so than you won't need the WAAS position source that the 82 provides.

2. Where are you going? The GDL 82 broadcast only on 978 MHz. For most people that'll be just fine. However, if you're ever planning on flying out of the country to destinations like the Bahamas, I think they'll require that you're broadcasting on 1090MHz.

3. What do you want? That's probably just going to be personal preference and directly relates to the first two.

My RV-4 had a Garmin 327 transponder and a 496. I knew I needed to upgrade to 2020 ADS-B compliance for the "out", but I also wanted the "in". I also didn't want to limit myself as to where I could fly so I felt like I needed something that would broadcast on both 978 and 1090 MHz. So my final solution definitely wasn't the least expensive way to go but I felt like it gave me everything I needed and wanted. What I ended up installing was the:

1. Garmin 345 WASS transponder which gave me a new ES transponder that provided both ADS-B in and out and broadcast on both 978 and 1090 MHz

2. A Garmin 660 touchscreen that works flawlessly with the 345 which also gave me 3D vision when configured correctly with the 345

3. Garmin GDL 51 that gave me my XM music and weather and integrates perfectly with the 660.

Once again, it wasn't the least expensive way to go but this setup really works great together and does everything I want it to do.

Mark

GDL-82

I installed a GDL-82. It was perfect for me because I didn't have a WAAS GPS in my panel and I already had a Stratus 2/Foreflight ADS-B (in). I'd be glad to provide details of the installation if you'd like.

...so I felt like I needed something that would broadcast on both 978 and 1090 MHz.

1. Garmin 345 WASS transponder which gave me a new ES transponder that provided both ADS-B in and out and broadcast on both 978 and 1090 MHz

Mark

Some mis-speak here. Just to be clear, you may opt to listen (ADSB-in) on both frequencies, but per FAA regulation you may only transmit on one frequency. Since you have an S-ES transponder, you are transmitting on 1090 (only) MHz.

Garmin GDL 82

In my RV6A I installed the Garmin GDL82 because it provides a WAAS position source and it worked with my King KT76 transponder. Simple enough to install that I could do it though I was not the builder of my plane. Simple to connect the coax to new WAAS GPS antenna to GDL82 box. Moved existing transponder coax cable to connect to box, and new coax cable from box to existing transponder antenna..
Aircraft Spruce will fabricate cables if you need help on that part of install..I didn't have a laptop so I needed help from a buddy to program it.

Passed on first try. Have ADSB In via GDL39 connected via a cable to a Garmin 696 to get traffic and weather.

I did it when the 500$ rebate was available which I heard will be coming back.

Made a couple calls to Garmin with questions and as always got great support.

Some mis-speak here. Just to be clear, you may opt to listen (ADSB-in) on both frequencies, but per FAA regulation you may only transmit on one frequency. Since you have an S-ES transponder, you are transmitting on 1090 (only) MHz.

Sorry for the misquote. The point being is that the setup that I have works well together, it's a clean installation, and you're not limited as to where you can travel outside of the country. How and when all of the mojo works inside of the box is above my pay grade.

Mark

Back