What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Puddle Jumping 2 - The Sequel

A promotional video is now on Facebook with some nice clips from our trip earlier this year.

Several people have contacted me who were interested in doing their own trans-atlantic trips, so they may be interested that the same company that helped with my logistics are planning to do a few accompanied group trips next year; eastbound July 2-12 2018.

The youtube link doesn't work for me ... I get a circle with an exclamation point inside / some sort of error.

Mark,

Thank you for posting. The documentary is very entertaining and brought back some pretty strong emotions from my flight across the arctic this year.

What caused the wheel fire?

John

Hi John,

Having professional photographers and 3 aircraft (not all vintage;) ) gave us great opportunities for filming.

I was in the back seat when the fire happened. It was after a full length backtrack and Rogier has long legs and big feet, so I suspect the brakes were dragging and eventually blew the seal and sent out hot fluid.

Fortunately all except the wheel pants was fixable. We got going a short while later that day after replacing O-rings and fluid and picked up a new tyre that evening in Isafjordur which had been put on the flight from Reykjavik.

Well executed! You guys should get the creative director an ANR headset.

PS; Mark, from Iceland to Greenland what kind of permits do they require prior to entry? Would appreciate a reference. PM or email would work too.

Great video. I believe the Beech 18 was on the ramp at KCXP this summer for a while. Never got to meet the owner though.

Thanks for making the video!

Joel, The Beech 18 was parked up at CXP until a few months ago before going back to the UK. After Canada, they flew it to Cuba and around central America with several more balloon flights. Then up to Carson City where it stayed until they lost the hangar space.

http://onthebeech.blogspot.com/ has some records of those adventures.

Awe. I should have tried to find the owner more. The gentleman I hangar with rebuilt a ?18 and sold it a few years ago. Ended up on the cover of a magazine after he sold it. He would have gladly put it in his hangar. He was admiring it when it was there!

Back