What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank & trailer for fuel transport.

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
As my airport does not have any fuel, we are considering options to tanker fuel from the gas pump, to our airport.

A 50 or 100 gallon tank, with an electric pump, mounted onto a small utility trailer is what was suggested.

Has anyone here had experience with a setup like this? Years ago we simply filled 5 gallon cans and hauled them to the airport.

Pros?

Cons?

Last edited:
I bought one of these http://www.hullwelding.com/diesel_fuel_trailer_500_gallons/ about 8 years ago. Not cheap, but you can split the cost with other airpark residents. It is street legal so your liability, should you have a mishap on the road is limited. I fill up with 100LL. I share it with one other person and fill up my stationary 500 gallon tank then him use the tank trailer. 500 gallons normaly last about year and half for me. YMMV. And they are located in TX.

Last edited:
It is real easy to get diesel transfer trailers and pumps - not as easy for gas. I know there are DOT rules that allow up to a specific amount of gas to be in a trailer, but you would have to search your state for the rules.

Is it possible to get an above ground tank at your airport? Im sure you could find a supplier to deliver an amount that could make it worth while. I have had them on several sites we developed and it worked well.

I would never recommend doing this, but I knew a guy that had a friend that had a 80g gas tank on a small trailer that had a wood frame around it with a shovel and rake on top with a landscape logo painted on it.

Good luck.

I had a 110 gal tank. So I modified an old boat trailer (rebuilt to suit) and mounted the tank on it. I bought a 12v transfer pump and mounted it on the tank. I take it to town and fill it if I want or just get an extra 10 or 15 gals in cans when I fill the pickup, then pour them in the tank when I get home.

I didn't ask any questions or search out any laws. I've never been approached or asked about it. .....except at 7-11, "you need how much"? lol

I had a 110 gal tank. So I modified an old boat trailer (rebuilt to suit) and mounted the tank on it. I bought a 12v transfer pump and mounted it on the tank. I take it to town and fill it if I want or just get an extra 10 or 15 gals in cans when I fill the pickup, then pour them in the tank when I get home.

I didn't ask any questions or search out any laws. I've never been approached or asked about it. .....except at 7-11, "you need how much"? lol

The answer is hidden in your auto insurance policy.......:eek:

Found a nice 110 gal tank, complete with electric pump. About $799 for the whole thing.

Based on all the pickups with external fuel tanks mounted, should not be a problem.

I can always throw a lawn mower into the trailer...

Tanks and trailer

I have been told that the federal standards for non-tool-of-the-trade fuel transport trailers AND portable tanks in a trailer is 110 gallons. Supposedly that is based on a weight calculation -- maybe 750 lbs??? And it applies to tank capacity, not actual fuel in the tanks. Though I can find many references to this gallon/weight limit, I have not found any credible authority for it.

In addition:
- state or municipal laws can reduce this amount. So check your state.
- hazardous material labeling is required for gasoline and most other fuels.
- tanks cannot extend beyond the edges of the trailer structure, so no gasoline tanks mounted on the trailer tongue as is frequently done with small propane tanks.

I built a trailer that has one aluminum 20 gallon RCI-brand tank with bottom drain bolted to a rack above the bed (in the front of the trailer) for gravity feed to low wing aircraft tanks. And the trailer is set up to carry (via bolts through the feet and rachet straps around the top) two portable roll-around 30 gallon tanks with manual rotary pumps. These can be off loaded via trailer ramp at the airport, leaving the trailer bed clear for other purposes. All have grounding cables.

Search the forums

If you do a Search in the VAF forums for "Fuel Tank Trailer" you'll find several people who have shared their experiences. Many are in the RV-12 forum rather than the General Discussion/News forum.

Here's a page I generated doing this, but you should refresh the search.

If you do a Search in the VAF forums for "Fuel Tank Trailer" you'll find several people who have shared their experiences. Many are in the RV-12 forum rather than the General Discussion/News forum.

Here's a page I generated doing this, but you should refresh the search.

Don - Thank you. I will check that out.

I like that Northern Tool 91 g tank. They have a pump for $130 that says no gas, one for $300 that is ok for gas. A couple hundred bucks is not a big deal one way or the other - if it makes a difference.

Any thoughts? Maybe I answered my own question since the cost difference is so small.

Back