What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Needing Supplies in New Zealand

AusFlyingBear

It's starting to get to an urgent situation now but can anyone tell me where I can buy the following products. If these aren't available is there anything that can be used in place of them. I'm in Christchurch so that would be ideal but anywhere in New Zealand is good.

Bonderite M-CR 1201 (Alodine)
Bonderite C-IC 33 (Alumiprep)
Pro-Seal
Stewart Systems EkoPrime

I've been searching and emailing supplies but no one has replied so any information I can get from the community it would be great.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Options

In Australia the situation is similar, all of those products are imported and unless there is enough volume to make it worthwhile for a local retailer, you need to be prepared to order it from the US and get it sent over. Aircraft Spruce carries most of those products and you can also get the Proseal from Vans and the Ekoprime direct from Stewarts.

An alternative for the surface protection products is to use a 2-pack epoxy primer, which you should be able to get locally from an automotive paint supplier. Brands like Nason, Valspar (Resene?) may be available and suitable.

The downside to importing is the shipping cost, I ordered $300 tools from yardstore.com and the shipping cost $100. Ordered on 21 April and received on 11 May, which is not too bad considering global flight reductions due Covid-19.

Good luck!

I've bought proseal direct from Van's, which when you buy the quart kit was cheaper than any supplier in Oz even with the shipping cost. Postage out of the US at the moment is glacially slow however.....

Perhaps you could try calling Henkel in NZ direct perhaps for Bonderite & Alumi-prep? I've bought these products from a Sydney supplier, but I don't know how easy it is to ship.

You could try Aircraft Logistics at Rangiora airfield, I gather he stocks a lot of items that are hard to get locally.

Friends of mine have bought from them before, but I haven't so far. Might be worth a drive out there just in case, they may be one of those businesses that is pretty slow with emails (assuming that is how you tried to contact them).
Otherwise unfortunately I don't have any better leads!

I recently ordered a quart of Proseal ex Van's during the level 4 lockdown, and it only took a week to get here.

Resene Durepox is a good epoxy primer, and is available from Resene's automotive division. They also sell a product called Hydrafos which is apparently a good acid etch prep (I haven't used it personally though).

Alodine I got out of Henkel in Auckland, I think they sell it in 500ml containers, but it is much cheaper to buy it in bigger quantities..

How much Proseal are you after? I could send you a partial tin that I have here (expired a few months ago, still cures perfectly) to get you out of a bind if you need it? and I'll have another partial tin (non expired) in a few weeks once I finish a tank I'm working on.

Let me know, Hugh 021 901 099 :)

I?ve used diluted phosphoric acid plenty of times when I couldnt get any alumiprep.
It?s just diluted phosphoric acid with a cleaner/detergent butoxyethanol. Being on the other side of the world where this stuff costs 5x means it?s worth thinking outside the box.
On the proseal, I notice you are doing your elevators so I?m assuming you don?t need the pro seal for the tanks?
Ive used marine sika for jobs such as the foam ribs in the elevators or aex wedge in the trailing edge. There are lots of glue/sealants that are far superior to pro seal (and easily obtainable and cheap) if you don?t need it to seal a fuel tank.
No suggestions for the Alodine unfortunately.
Good luck.
Richard.

Supplies

I purchased small quantities of bondrite and alodine and a number of other things from aircraft logistics in Rangiora. They were responsive, helpful and sent quickly to Wellington.

In Australia the situation is similar, all of those products are imported and unless there is enough volume to make it worthwhile for a local retailer, you need to be prepared to order it from the US and get it sent over. Aircraft Spruce carries most of those products and you can also get the Proseal from Vans and the Ekoprime direct from Stewarts.

An alternative for the surface protection products is to use a 2-pack epoxy primer, which you should be able to get locally from an automotive paint supplier. Brands like Nason, Valspar (Resene?) may be available and suitable.

The downside to importing is the shipping cost, I ordered $300 tools from yardstore.com and the shipping cost $100. Ordered on 21 April and received on 11 May, which is not too bad considering global flight reductions due Covid-19.

Good luck!

I have been able to buy Alodine and AlumiPrep in bulk from a Sydney supplier. From memory, $400 worth of product was more than enough to do 3 full airframes.

Hi Ian

For alodine PPS industries Ltd (09-5791001) in Auckland sell it in 3.8ltr containers for around $140ish.

Craig

Back