What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sealing access panels?

wnplt

Well Known Member
My builder cut and installed access panels in the top fuselage forward of the canopy. I love them but need to get them sealed up for water intrusion. What?s the best way? Have heard proseal dried up then installed. Any type of very thin rubber gasket material?

Open to ideas....

Thanks

Assuming the AC is already painted, you could put down a bead of RTV, cover with a layer of cling-wrap or wax paper and loosely install the cover. Once cured you have a gasket.

It?s not painted yet. It goes next month. I would want something that still allows access to the panels for maintenance.

Silicon Grease

I have the access panel, which I made --- I use a heavy silicon grease for the sealing --- I tried thin rubber gaskets, silicon sealer, Permatex, etc --- nothing worked as good as the silicon grease. I have the panels off and on frequently -- the grease makes removal and reinstall very easy.

I can send pics if you will email me.

By the way, I could not do much on the airplane without my access panels - best mod (of many) that I made.

Ron

Assuming you don't need into the access panels very often, you could put a sheet of automotive vinyl over them.

Bevan

Back