What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Partain Trading Company and Stewart Transport: Excellent!

goatflieg

Well Known Member
I was fortunate enough to have my RV-8 QB wings and fuselage delivery handled by Tony Partain, who specializes in arranging aircraft component shipping for several manufacturers, including Van's. Tony was very responsive and helpful in providing details regarding the entire process. He uses a few select carriers; my parts were delivered by Don Furr, driving for Stewart Transport. Don contacted me prior to departure, kept in touch as he traveled across the country and arrived exactly on time. He was able to get his long truck and trailer much closer to my house than I anticipated, and his rig was equipped with a built-in crane and large dolly that made the transfer go much smoother than expected, even with rain and icy conditions. He was friendly, helpful and patient with my inexperienced crew and made sure the job got done right. Everything arrived in good condition, and based on my experience I would highly recommend both Partain Trading Company and Stewart Transport.

Tony Partain

I just used Partain to move an old car I'm working on he picked up in two different states body in one chassis in the other. Delivered it as promised and in excellent condition. Two thumbs up to his driver Michael. He had a 7a in the trailer with my car when he got to my shop. Then the 7a was heading to Oregon. Highly recommended.

Glad it worked out for you. That was my RV-7A.

It took four of us (including two strong 20 somethings that I had to hire) to move your car off the trailer and then back on. It had no steering, so two of us were each fighting a front wheel down the ramp and back on, while the young guys were at the back. My back hurt for several days after that. Clearly not your fault, but my experience was a bit different than yours.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4rvvcb3uhz603te/IMG_2377.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
old car

Ya that was not fun getting it off the trailer and in the shop. It works much better now with tie rod in it. The new posi is tuff to turn.

Martin --

How do you contract with them? Does Van's facilitate anything or did you just call the companies? And what happens when they get to your driveway?

I'm probably more worried about this part than I should be, but my friends all seem to have bad backs! :)

Martin --

How do you contract with them? Does Van's facilitate anything or did you just call the companies? And what happens when they get to your driveway?

I'm probably more worried about this part than I should be, but my friends all seem to have bad backs! :)
I don't recall for sure, but I think Partain advertised here, at least at one time.
I had QB RV-10 fuselage and wings delivered by Partain, back in 2010. Then the finishing kit, along with replacement flaps and ailerons (originals had poor riveting of trailing edges). In all cases, driver made contact a day or two before arrival, met me at airport gate to bring parts to my hangar, assisted with the unloading, and yes, I lined up at least a couple helpers that were about as grey haired as I am, but probably stronger, to help with the unload, but could have done almost as easily with the driver and myself.
Fuselage was on dolly, so only work was transferring it to my constructed dolly. Wings are light enough for two people to carry from trailer to rack I had acquired from other builder.
In summary, no hassle with delivery, saved cost of Van's crating charge, and delivery schedule was within a week or two of parts being available at Van's.
Very satisfied customer.

I just thought that I would add a few words as I just received my QB rv10 fuselage today using Partain Trading Company delivered by Stewart Transport. You can mark me down as another satisfied customer. While there were a couple of issues out of their control (The crane broke in the truck compounded by the fact that we got a foot of snow here in NJ yesterday), Don from Stewart Transport called me daily to update me on the situation. He got the crane fixed and showed up at my hanger today before the airport was even finished digging themselves out. The ability to use the crane and lower the fuselage on my pre-made dolly made the delivery a breeze compared to the other company I used for my QB wings. Since it never leaves the truck there is no need for the crate which saves a tremendous amount of money in crating charges not to mention the time to break it down and get rid of it. If I were to build again (hey you never know), there is no question that I would go with Tony Partain for shipping. And whoever's patiently waiting for his QB wings up in New Hampshire, I saw them, they look great, and I'm sure that they will be at their new home shortly.

Dave

Dave

2x satisfied customer of Partain

Put me down as a 2x customer w/ Partain. Overall satisfied. 1x satisfactory w/ minor issues and 1x great.

The only moderate issue was my perception of a lack of status on when pickup and delivery would occur. On the first, I wasn't able to warn the seller when they were about to arrive, nor was I informed on the status to prepare for arrival here. One day he just showed up to pick up and a few days later showed up to deliver. Notifications were much better the 2nd time both from Tony as well as from the driver.

The first time was to transport a QB fuselage and built tail from ID to CA. The drivers rig was a big pickup and a huge 5th wheel trailer. I never received the kit assembly manuals which the seller remembers the driver storing away. This driver had an unfortunate accident and lost his life awhile back. There were multiple kits so I had to help offload other items to get to my stuff.

The second time was to transport a wing kit and a tail kit from GA to CA. This driver was much more professional in both manner, driving, communication, and capabilities of his rig. It was a full semi with nice layout, tiedowns, ramps, padding. You could tell he had pride in his rig and the way he treated all the kits.

Overall thumbs up.

I just thought that I would add a few words as I just received my QB rv10 fuselage today using Partain Trading Company delivered by Stewart Transport. You can mark me down as another satisfied customer. While there were a couple of issues out of their control (The crane broke in the truck compounded by the fact that we got a foot of snow here in NJ yesterday), Don from Stewart Transport called me daily to update me on the situation. He got the crane fixed and showed up at my hanger today before the airport was even finished digging themselves out. The ability to use the crane and lower the fuselage on my pre-made dolly made the delivery a breeze compared to the other company I used for my QB wings. Since it never leaves the truck there is no need for the crate which saves a tremendous amount of money in crating charges not to mention the time to break it down and get rid of it. If I were to build again (hey you never know), there is no question that I would go with Tony Partain for shipping. And whoever's patiently waiting for his QB wings up in New Hampshire, I saw them, they look great, and I'm sure that they will be at their new home shortly.

Dave

Dave

That's me, Dave!
Looking forward to delivery in the morning!

I agree, Don has been updating me daily as well with what has been going on.
Tony even called today to check in on things. Very good communications.
My QB Fuse is due to be shipped in the May timeframe...
I'm pretty sure I'll be going with Partain again.

Kudos here as well to Tony and Don!

I too am also extremely pleased at Tony Partain's company and to Don at Stewart Transport! Don was very communicative in his delivery status of my -8QB Fuse kit. Even though I was actually in Guam when the kit arrived, I was able to have a good friend and my wife oversee and help with the offloading of the kit. With constant text messages with pics, I felt like I was there myself.

I think Tony had actually called me first before I heard anything yet from Vans about kit status. With Tony's company, the kit arrives un-crated, so you save about $300 in crating charges from Vans.

Absolutely delighted with Don's care and handling, and promptness, with his delivery. I would totally use them again...

Just one leeeetle thing tho.... now the neighbors come 'round looking for the "Factory Five" kit car after seeing Don's big truck!

Very Happy

Just received my RV-14 QB wings and fuselage today and I am very pleased with the way it was handled. I had helped unload my friend's kit back in November and was so impressed with the care and handling by driver Michael I asked to have Partain ship my kit, too. This time, the kit was delivered for Partain by Jerry Anglin of Stewart Transportation and, while the care was just as good, unloading was even easier. Stewart's trucks have an overhead crane built into their trailers and it allowed unloading the fully loaded fuselage onto their large padded dolly. Then, we moved that into my workshop, unloaded the parts stored in the fuselage and moved the fuselage to my dolly. We unloaded the wings from the walls of the trailer by hand onto my wing cradle. That turned out to be the only lifting required. We had everything unloaded in less than one hour. I am very happy!:)

I received a fuselage on Wednesday delivered by Jerry Anglin. The whole shipping process could not have gone better. Between Mr. Partain and Mr. Anglin I was kept informed throughout the whole process. No stress, no strain. Delivered right to my door step. Thanks guys.

Just one leeeetle thing tho.... now the neighbors come 'round looking for the "Factory Five" kit car after seeing Don's big truck!

We had a good laugh about that. I'm also a big Cobra fan, so I know a lot about Factory Five. One of my helpers said "Looks like you're getting a Cobra by mistake!" I replied "That would be cool with me! Instead of getting a Lycoming from Barrett, I'd get a small-block from Roush..." LOL!

Another shout out for Tony Partain

My Rv-14 quick build wings, quick build fuselage and finishing kit were delivered on Tuesday, April 18. I had them delivered to my EAA chapter hangar. I didn't want big, heavy crates because we're mostly older guys, and few around at a given time. The driver (Don) called several days ahead and said he would be there between 9AM and noon on Tuesday. He arrived at 10:15AM. Mine was his fifth and final delivery that trip. I could not have been happier with the condition of my items and the way they were secured; and the on-board crane made it so easy to unload! He was able to set the fuselage, which was chock full of parts, right on my trolley. No effort! And we carried the wings off and onto my wings trolley. He got out his big dolly and lowered the finishing kit crate onto it, and then we wheeled it to where I wanted it, tipped it slightly and extracted the dolly and lowered it. Could not have been easier, or faster, and just the two of us! An amazing experience! Thank you for making this mode available, Tony!

Delivery today!

Just had my QB fuse and finish kit delivered today by Stewart/Partain. They did a great job. Exactly on schedule, handled it like I would have.

Back