What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil or No Oil??

AndyRV7

Well Known Member
I was going to pick up a 20 gallon compressor this weekend at the HF sale. I had my heart set on an oiled version but one thing I wasn't aware of was the weight difference. The weight listed on the oiled one is twice as much as the no oil compressor (200lbs vs. 100lbs).

I want this for repainting my wheel pant halves and other small fairings. Any opinions or advice???

Thanks. Andy

I was going to pick up a 20 gallon compressor this weekend at the HF sale. I had my heart set on an oiled version but one thing I wasn't aware of was the weight difference. The weight listed on the oiled one is twice as much as the no oil compressor (200lbs vs. 100lbs).

I want this for repainting my wheel pant halves and other small fairings. Any opinions or advice???

Thanks. Andy

Oil = a little maintenance and longer life.
No oil compressors are factory lubricated and eventually the lube wears out.

Yes. Buy an oiled, 2 stage, belt driven compressor. Yes, it will be twice the weight.

I purchased an oiled, direct drive single cylinder model thinking that would be a good middle ground. Nope. Still loud. It does its job and I'm not ready to be rid of it to buy another one, but I'd spend more and get it right the first time.

If it is a long term tool, buy the oil unit. If your only painting a few fairings, I wouldn?t spend more for the oiled. It is certainly not necessary for your task.

I started with a 5 gal oilless model (that I already owned) and it worked perfectly fine. I treated myself to a Kobalt brand 2 stage 30 gallon oiled model from Lowes with my wing kit to enhance my build experience and incorporate some more pneumatic tools into my arsenal. The oiled compressor runs far quieter which is critical for me because the unit is in my basement where I do my work and I just didn't want to be subject to the decibels that came from my oilless 5 gal unit in an enclosed space. The larger static volume and CFM rate under operation are real nice to have as well.

I decided early on that I would shell out for good tools to make building more enjoyable which made for a little more trepidation to get started. (Making a big tool investment without having any airplane parts yet to know if this adventure was for me). It also happens that most build tools hold value well so even if they get spendy, you can recoup a lot of that back if you choose to sell.

oily or not

Having been a hands on general home building contractor for the last 41 years and have at least 11 compressors in my shop and vans currently. I have used oiled compressors most of that time.
Along come the oil less ones and I was skeptical to say the least.
Not buying into it at all.
As a side gig I was an author for a tool/building magazine for 8 years. They would give me the tools, (I would get to keep some for my pay) I would use them and write about them good or bad.
I was brutally honest in my writing and critical reviews.
I was given 9 electric compressors to test. Two of them were Dewalt oil less 200 psi units. (I kept these)
One of the things I tested for is how much cord can you put before the compressor and still have it start. Most wouldn't start after 100 feet of cord. These started with 300+ feet of #12 cord.
Love them. No oil in the system to worry about.
Do they last?? Yes! One has been in my work van for about 2 years now. Framing, trim, siding, roofing, etc on a daily basis.
Do they wear out yes. A roofer I use gave me two of the Dewalts that had failed on them. One wore out the ring. The other blew out the aluminum line which in turn wore out the $36.00 brushes.
Yes they wore out as they run them all day long using three guns constantly
The fix is easy. The single piston ring is like a cup seal. The kit (ring and cylinder) to replace it is about $40.00 and takes about an hour to do.
So the bottom line is these usually last about 1 -1/2 years of constant use.
You could build a couple of airplanes before you got close to wearing one out.
Oh did I mention the top pressure is 200 PSI. Just awesome.
Remember no oil in the lines is a good thing.
You can turn them upside down or all around and they still work.
Add a second tank for storage is a good thing also.
My 5 cents worth, upgrade for inflation.
The question is would I buy another if I needed one? Yes I would.

Thanks for the info from everyone. I'm really kind of limited in my rental hangar with what I can use without blowing the fuse. 20 gallon seems to be about the largest I can run. And because I can't buy a "nice," long-term tool, an inexpensive, 20-gallon, single stage would have to do. I would probably have the oil less already except Harbor Freight has a nice looking oiled unit on sale this weekend for about $160. For the money, It seems like the right thing to do.

Just a quick mention of a main difference between belt driven oiled and oil less.

The Oil Less compressors are LOUD!!

If that's an issue, seriously consider a belt driven with a reduced speed compressor. you'll be happier.

Cheers

If you are gong toward oilless, the "California Air Tools" are the only ones I've found that were quiet. I have a small one in my garage just to adjust tires and blow out the garage. It is EXTREMELY quiet.

Model CAT-15020C, 2.0 hp, 115 V, 15 gal, $490, free shipping.

Last edited:
power?

since nobody has mentioned it....power ( electricity).
I have an old two piston belt-reduced oil type 5 gal.
has painted two planes, many cars, etc.....and still going, probably 40 years old! I think I put a new belt on it once.
(Yes, it's too small for wings and cars, but you sometimes have to stop at a seam, and pickup again!)
BUT!...when the pressure drops from, say 110 psi to 75 or whatever the set point is, and it tries to come on, it draws a LOT of juice to start up, and throws 15 amp breakers with great regularity...
so, make sure you have adequate power, and perhaps a dedicated circuit for the compressor ( unless you like working in the dark!)

I can listen to the 'dug-a-dug-a-dug-a' sound all day, kind of like a radial engine.
30 seconds of a screamin' diaphragm type oilless and I'm ready to throw it out the door.
The 'quiet' oilless are in a league of their own...lots of airbrush artists and custom painters use them, some look like a gang of Freon compressors hooked to a tank.
Silent. Nice. ( silentaire or Sil-air is one brand...Binks, deVilbis all have a version)

Last edited:
Back