What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone inspection plates

gkalin

In the process of starting the tailcone on my 14 empinage. Have come across an ?optional? item.....so says Van?s. They are inspection plates...about 6 or 8 inches square, and go on each side. They give you the plates, which you can use as a template, but I assume you would need to cut a pretty nice hole to make them look right. My question is.....what is everybody else doing? Are they worth the work involved?

Jerry Kalin
SN 140601
Vert stab. Done
Rudder done
Hor. Stab. Done
Elev. done

Having a blast!

Are you referring to the inspection plates part number F-14112?

If that's the case, the option offered was whether or not to dimple/countersink the holes - is that what you're referring to?

FYI if you do dimple be sure to make the parts mirror images of each other.

As said above.....I?ve gone for the countersink version but most I?ve spoken to have not. How much drag will 16 screw heads cause anyway?

I went with the dimpled option. Not much more work. Note that the left and right plates are different. Make sure you dimple the correct side.

I, too, went with the countersunk screws for those inspection plates. What I don't understand is why they're not fit into recessed joggles (such as was done with the -8) in order to flush-mount the plates, themselves.

If you dimple them, you also need to do a few other steps to countersink the structure beneath them and you will need to buy some additional hardware since the kit does not include the screws for a flush installation. (It does include the screws for a non-flush installation.) I can't remember if it includes the different nut plates or not.

Definitely follow the advice about the left and right parts being different. I primed and dimpled two left covers and had to order a replacement to make one for the right side.

Back