What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN 635 to GTX 330ES Interface Question

jmbueller

I'm New Here
I just sent my GTX 330 out for the ES mod to solve my ADS-B-out need. The dealer was good enough to give me a loaner unit to keep me flying in the meantime.

My GTN 635 Com/WAAS/GPS is currently connected via a single RS232 in/out pair to the GTX. The altitude source is my Dynon D100 connected to the GTN 635.

I'm trying to figure out if I will need another data connection to get the ADS-B out working when my upgraded transponder comes back.

Do I need a second RS232 connection from the GTN to the Transponder? ARINC 429? Or can one RS232 connection handle everything?

I've studied both my GTN and GTX installation manuals, and this point is still unclear to me.

Any help is appreciated!

take a look in the G3X manual rev AG P27-29. It shows a separate 232 from the GTN to the 330es. It looks like this line gives you the GPS source, while your other 232 would give the pressure source, as it's doing now. Sounds like you are already wired correctly. What was the purpose of the 232 going from the GTN that you already had?

Thanks. I might not have been clear. Currently, the D100 is connected to the GTN but not to the transponder. The GTN is then connected to the GTX via a single RS232 in/out pairing. So the question is whether a single RS232 out line from the the GTN to the GTX can handle both the pressure altitude information for the transponder and the GPS information for the ADS-B. The RS232 in line is so the GTN can receive TIS. That might be a dumb question, but I'm pretty new to this stuff.

I just got my question answered by the dealer. After some research, he said I should be good to go with the connections I have. They are per page E-27 of the GTN Installation Manual. Thats one shielded triple that are RS232-in, RS232-out, and signal ground. He had previously thought that I had to add another connection because he didn't understand that the altitude source goes to the GTN and is re-transmitted from there to the transponder.

Could you tell us which settings you were told to use in the software menus to configure both the transponder and the GTN? RS232 IN/Out etc....
thanks

Back