VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-20-2019, 12:04 PM

Default HS-702 with the HS-00003 minimum edge distance.

So I wasn't sure if this is the minimum edge distance that everyone was talking about... sure enough it is. Thanks Vans for the clarification.

"The two holes directly above and below the notch are known to have short edge distance and accepted by the engineers, not a problem."

And if you look real close... you will see why I just spent $20 getting another HS-702.

I think what is going to take the most time is screwing up on a Saturday night, waiting to hear back from tech support on Monday, and ordering parts that take another 3 days.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:58 PM

Good to see you approaching your build in the right way - Being cautious and talking to Van's when unsure.

It's a difficult intro to an RV build - working on the first real structural part, where one hole drilled through 3 or 4 layers can ruin your day. I have a few (4!) spare HS-702's, not to mention a box full of front spar reinforcements..

Something I found interesting - having built two complete HS's - On the non-SB HS front spar there aren't any areas where lower than normal edge distances are acceptable, yet on the SB version there are multiple areas where less than perfect edge distances are approved by Van's. Even on critical structures, less than perfect edge distances are sometimes acceptable with Van's approval, indeed sometimes unavoidable. But always check with Van's!

Good luck with the rest of the build - This front spar area is the initiation!

Hugh
Old 05-21-2019, 05:04 PM

Default Relief notch

The old plans had those relief notch pilot holes further toward the vertex. Wonder why Vans moved them?
Easier to file away material than replace it.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/27/2018. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:25 PM

Did you enlarge the wrong hole? Why arenít both the big holes for the relief notch not tangent to your vertical line there? Bottom one looks ok but the top on has me puzzled
Old 05-22-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girraf View Post
Did you enlarge the wrong hole? Why aren’t both the big holes for the relief notch not tangent to your vertical line there? Bottom one looks ok but the top on has me puzzled

Sure did. New one showing up today.

Last edited by Roarks : 05-22-2019 at 09:16 PM.