VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 PM

Default Fuse build order with Glass

It seems Vans' build order for the fuse was decided before glass was around.

So I am trying to figure out the best fuse build order assuming I will have an all glass panel in a slider RV7/9
1) do i build the structure, then canopy, then engine then glass? Does this mean I have to install all the glass boxes to sub panel from underneath?
2) or do i build the structure, engine, then glass boxes from top, then canopy?

How hard is it to install the glass boxes after the slider windscreen is on?

Maybe I use dummy boxes to put the nutplates on the subpanel prior to installing front wind screen?

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2019, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 05-16-2019, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
It seems Vans' build order for the fuse was decided before glass was around.

So I am trying to figure out the best fuse build order assuming I will have an all glass panel in a slider RV7/9
1) do i build the structure, then canopy, then engine then glass? Does this mean I have to install all the glass boxes to sub panel from underneath?
2) or do i build the structure, engine, then glass boxes from top, then canopy?

How hard is it to install the glass boxes after the slider windscreen is on?

Maybe I use dummy boxes to put the nutplates on the subpanel prior to installing front wind screen?
Build as much as you can before you commit to your glass boxes, they will change a dozen times before you finish your fuselage.

In saying that - I have a -9A tip-up but I installed my Dynon transponder & EMS boxes on the forward sub-panel, and the VP-X on a pair of angles underneath it long after the QB fuse and sub-panel structure was assembled. All that was left was to rivet the top deck on. The ADAHRS is installed behind the baggage compartment on another pair of angles spanning the upper longerons - another relatively easy addition with everything else 'done'.

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:51 AM
Moderator/Tech Counselor

You should be able to build the entire airplane and install the radios at the end. Be wary of sizes and wiring while you build so you don't paint yourself into the proverbial corner. I built my 7A with a VFR steam panel, but the new owner replaced it all with a glass IFR panel after he bought it. Plan ahead as much as you can.

Roberta
Ford Expedition and TRICE "Q"
Built Glen L "ZIP" Classic Outboard Runabout and Super Spartan Hydroplane
Glen L Torpedo