What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Easy Method to Monitor Oil Consumption?

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I thought I?d share a simple way to monitor oil consumption?

When I change oil in the 912 I first burb the warm oil from the crankcase to the oil tank and then drain the tank, change the spin-on filter, and check the magnetic plug.

When everything is sealed up I pour in three bottles of AeroShell Oil Sport PLUS 4, which brings the operating level into the flat on the dipstick.

To keep track of oil consumption I start a forth bottle of PLUS 4 and write on the bottle with a Sharpie pen ?Replenishment Oil Starting XXX.X Total Time?. As I fly through the 75 hour oil change interval (I use 93E10 Mogas) I add oil from the replenishment bottle. I don?t have to keep track of how much is added each time ? I only note how much is left in the bottle at the end of 75 hours. I?ve been doing this for the last four oil changes and it is an easy method to monitor oil consumption and look for long-range trends.

You actually have to add oil in between changes? At my 50 hour changes I'm down less than a pint. 75 hours maybe pushing it IMO.

Back