What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fisk Approach Suggestions

AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
While I did not fly in this year, I have quite a few times in past years. I've always thought a weak point in the system is due to these words in the notam:

"When you are in the immediate vicinity of
Fisk (less than 2 miles), ATC will issue a
runway assignment, transition to the airport
and appropriate Tower frequency to
monitor. Do not proceed beyond Fisk or
change to Tower frequency without ATC
authorization."

I think a problem is the vagueness of the "less than 2 miles" statement. I've been following aircraft approaching Fisk, when the controller says "white low wing, rock your wings". Then I see a couple aircraft ahead of me both rock their wings. 2 miles is potentially several aircraft, as it clearly was the other day this year (as discussed in another thread).

I'm wondering if the ATC instructions could be more like "aircraft directly above FISK, blah, blah". Everyone flying to O has (or should have!) some sort of gps that can nail FISK to within a small distance.

Thoughts?

I was listening to the Fisk audio for a while today and those instructions worked most of the time. A couple of times, though, it appeared that aircraft had changed to tower frequency without being instructed. I heard Fisk admonish all aircraft not to turn in or change frequencies until instructed. It was a real cluster, but I thought the controllers did a great job of sorting everybody out. My hat's off to both the controllers and the pilots brave enough to fly in there.

Back