What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antennae placement and requirements

I have a PM I sent to the gent that I think works for Dynon, but wanted to ask the group. I'm just getting to the point of riveting up the tailcone and I'm concerned about closing it up too soon in case I need to put an antennae on the bottom of skin between the F-1010 and F-1011 bulkheads. From what I have read in here, ILS/LOC ant typically go into the wing tips, the GPS on top, VHFs under the seat pan. I'm planning on getting the uAvionics tailBeacon, so that should take care of xpndr and ADS-B. What am I missing?

I would like to run lines/build up mounting plates ahead of time because, quite frankly, crawling into the tail section is going to be a bit rough for a guy my size.

After a 6 month layoff with busy work schedule and trim tab frustration, I have a had a solid month of progress and wanting to keep it up...

NAV radio antenna can go on top of the tail also, the rabbit ears type are quite common.

Markers go underneath, if you want one, and a storm scope if you desire.

Transponder typically under the plane beneath the seats. If you have two VHF coms you might have one above the tail cone and one under the baggage area floor.

GPS for a GTN/IFD is best on the top of the tail cone, but I see some under the roof. I avoid putting them in the engine bay.

The Dynon GPS antenna is best mounted up front, do not run the SV-GPS cables beside any VHF comms for any distance.

I installed all antennas right before moving for final assembly. I actually rearranged where I wanted things up to the very end. It?s not a big deal holding off.

Two antennas

Just to clarify, the Echo ADSB is only ADSB in and out. You will need a separate transponder antenna.

I have cat whiskers located at the rear bottom section of the tail. The tips are under the horizontal so no interference issues (above or below). Easy install with only a 3/4 inch hole and a couple of nut plates.

Just for reference here's where all equipment was placed. Not flying yet but ground tested everything except the Nav antenna.

Just for reference here's where all equipment was placed. Not flying yet but ground tested everything except the Nav antenna.

Nice layout...thanks for posting. Will have to talk to a Dynon rep and see what the compatible antennae product numbers are...

Back