What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which oil cooler for RV7A, 370 high comp, squirters?

Walt

Well Known Member
New engine, new cooler, Texas heat, which would/did you choose?

AERO CLASSIC OIL COOLER HE 8001649 , 11 row
Part #: 08-07432
Mfr Part #: 8001649
$679

2006X AIRFLOW OIL COOLER EXPMT , 13 row
Part #: 08-06154
Mfr Part #: 2006X
$562.00/ea

10611R MEGGITT TROY OIL COOLER , 11 row
Part #: 10611R
Mfr Part #: 10611R
$917.00/ea

Last edited:
Walt,

I don't know the answer for your specific question, but when I flew with Alex De Dominicis a few years back, I'm pretty sure his RV-7 was equipped with two separate 9-row oil coolers.

He wanted to make sure things stayed cool enough with all the low altitude work in that aforementioned Texas heat as well as dealing with the extra load/heat an air conditioning-equipped RV engine would be doing.

Two coolers may not be an option for you (hence your question) but I will say Alex's system seemed to work extremely well...

Rob

I'm guessing this is the Titan 370. Check with them on their recommendation. My 340 does not have the squirters and does fine with the stock 9-row but I understand the squirters move a LOT of the piston heat to the oil so need much more cooling.

As I said, call Titan, they will know what's worked best in the past.

Hey Walt---the 2006X is the cooler use on the RV14---with a IO390. I havent heard of temp issues on the 14s. Might be a good choice.

Tom

Try Chief Aircraft

I?m working with the same engine here Walt,I know you have lots of extreamly hot days down there and can?t comment on what work best , I?ve decided I?m going to try the 20006 13 row from chief aircraft supply , there web price was $349 last week, I must say my low Canadian $ has made me a bit of a thrifty shopper !

Baffle or firewall mount?

I'm running the Aero-Classic 11-row on my firewall, parallel-valve IO360 with squirters. It's adequate, but only just, at lower altitudes. Above about 8000' cruise it's perfect.

Baffle or firewall mount?

I'm running the Aero-Classic 11-row on my firewall, parallel-valve IO360 with squirters. It's adequate, but only just, at lower altitudes. Above about 8000' cruise it's perfect.

Which aero classic PN are you running? They make the standard and the HE models. This will be a firewall mount.

Which aero classic PN are you running? They make the standard and the HE models. This will be a firewall mount.

Sorry Walt - my memory proved faulty - it's the 10 row model 8000081 AeroClassic (standard, not HE) that I'm using, on the firewall.

On an extended max performance climb in full summertime afternoon heat, I'll see oil temps as high as 225 but they'll drop to 180-190 as soon as I level out in cruise.

Oil Cooler

Hi Walt

Here in Abilene, I was running high temps on my O-360 with oil squirters and a firewall mounted SW8406R cooler. (220-230F) I have a 4" SCAT above #4 to a fiberglass plenum that I made and is a reasonably smooth transition. (You may remember me calling you looking for ideas to get the temps down.)

I eventually decided to get a SW10611R after deciphering as much as I could from the forum. I called Pacific Oil Cooler to get some pricing info. I told the guy at Pacific what I had going on with my current setup. He thought that I would be very happy with their 'equivalent' HE cooler. It was also considerably less expensive than a pure-bred Stewart Warner. I got it and fabricated a bigger plenum to fit and installed it.
I have been very happy with it. My temps on a hot day (90-95+F) run around 190-195ish on a climb. It will top 200-210 if I push it. But I'm now usually more concerned about CHTs than oil temp. After level-off ~75F OAT, it'll settle in around 185 or so.
I haven't been out in any "really cold" air yet to see if oil temp is too cool. Slim chance of that in Texas.
Pacific's P/N is 8001649. I'm sending a couple of pics to your email.

Standard RF-10 parts

Walt,

I used the standard RV-10 oil cooler and firewall mount. 4" scat tube from the back of #4 cylinder suppling the air for the oil cooler. My oil temp is generally too low and I have restricted the amount of air to the cooler with 200mph tape.

My engine is a Lycon built parallel valve IO-360, 10:1 pistons, piston squirters, roller cam, flowed heads.

Regards,

Back