What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fatboy Grips/Quadrants

DHRYCAUK

Is Fatboy still in business? Looking to upgrade my throttle quadrant and have had no luck as their website looks to be down, looking at his profile on VAF he was last online here in Feb/2014.

thx

Last edited:
That sucks, I guess thats what you get when you procrastinate and wait too long !!

I was so looking forward to installing a new throttle grip this winter with a few mil spec buttons.....

I have a quandrant very similar now to the one linked, I was hoping to just change the grip to an AR-15 style with a couple buttons for flap control and smoke activation.

The AR-15 style throttle grip is wonderfully comfortable - the fact that Dayton can supply it is even better!

It is very easy to make one of these yourself. I did it on my RV4. I replaced the existing throttle lever with a longer one and bent the top end to fit inside of an AR-15 grip and secured it inside with a couple of AN3 bolts on the underside of the grip. On the other end I made a simple plate from aluminum, painted it black, and mounted a switch in it for my smoke system. If you are building a plane, this is a piece of cake to make yourself. I think I paid around $20 for the AR-15 grip and another $4 for the bar stock for the throttle lever.

Thx,

I ended up picking one up from Dayton, just need to source out some nice mil spec tactile switches to add to the grip.

Andy has a young family and large real estate rental business. He just didn't have any time for side projects. He had completed about 2/3 of a Radial Rocket and sold that about a year ago. Sometimes life just interferes with hobbies but family comes first.

AR-15?

When you guys speak of "AR" grips or "AR-15" grips are you talking about an AR-15 rifle grip?

One Mod I'd like to make is to take a standard 3-lever system and move the mixture control from the top like the other two, to the bottom.

In other words instead of going from say the 10 o'clock position, through 12 and stop at 2 (as seen from the side) , I'd like to have it at the 9 or 8 o'clock position for idle cutoff, and move it down and forward through 7, 6 5 to the 4 o'clock position to full rich. Like the P-51 quadrant. This would un-clutter the top of the quadrant. Not that it's a huge problem, but it would be an improvement.

But to do that, you have to more the whole quadrant inboard and up. I don't know what the extra mild cable bend and length of the cables would do to control response.

Last edited:
Back