What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O320 with Hartzell

n38139

Well Known Member
I have an O320 that was originally a 160 solid crank but was modified when overhauled for a constant speed prop. It is in a RV-8 and I am going to swap it for a O360. It has 9:1 pistons, 155 SMOH, the Hartzell (C2YL-1BF/F7663-4) was new when installed, starter, mags, carb etc. Just wondering if it would have much value? It would be a quick way of getting a 9, 4, or 6 going much cheaper than having to buy everything.

What do you think?

Thanks

I have an O320 that was originally a 160 solid crank but was modified when overhauled for a constant speed prop. It is in a RV-8 and I am going to swap it for a O360. It has 9:1 pistons, 155 SMOH, the Hartzell (C2YL-1BF/F7663-4) was new when installed, starter, mags, carb etc. Just wondering if it would have much value? It would be a quick way of getting a 9, 4, or 6 going much cheaper than having to buy everything.

What do you think?

Thanks

Except for the 9:1, it sounds just like what I have been flying for the past 3,360+ hobbs hours. Will be 21-years next month.

49clipper

Except for the 9:1 pistons, sound like what I have been looking for, for a new project. Missed one the other week with a Catto prop included for $11K. I would be interested. I can always change pistons.
Jim

Last edited:

What do you think?

Thanks

Yes! Yes!!! it has value... What is the O-320-DASH WHAT? Does it have dynafocal mounts?

My RV-4 (sold :( ) had a O-320 150HP C/S Hartzell HC-F2YL Prop (extended hub). My RV-4 top speed 205 mph any day all day. I won or placed in a few XC airshow races in the 160HP and under class. On long cross country, I cruised, if winds were good, in the low teens... I never felt it was under powered. Don't expect 20 HP and added weight of O-360 to make the RV-8 a fire breather. It will fly a little faster, climb a little faster and burn more fuel. Just saying... I'd leave it alone with O-320, but that is me.

Hartzell (C2YL) is worth a lot of $. New they are $8000 from vans.

I noticed used RV's take a beating on price if they have less than 180HP... That makes the 150/160 HP RV's a real great bargain. I can tell you (and Van will back me up I'm sure) the lighter low HP RV's are a blast to fly. From the mid 80's I've seen RV's go from simple lower HP fixed pitch VFR fun sport planes to luxury leather clad high HP triple display glass cockpit sky chariots. I am impressed by those loaded RV's but they are no more fun to fly.

Last edited:
Front or rear prop gov?

A fixed pitch O-320 converted to C/S requires new crank and adding governor to accessory case (rear). I doubt they had a front Gov pad and drive on a solid crank O-320 case. I could be wrong or this is some hybrid of parts.

Last edited:
Back