What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-10 Rudder/R1006 trailing edge question.

PrescottB787

Vans wants you to match drill perpendicular to the chord line. Then they want you to countersink perpendicular to the trailing edge face. How did anyone mahange this? The #40 countersink won't go in perpendicular to trailing edge face?..
Thanks in advance:)

Ken,

Technically, you are correct that the center guide of the countersink won't sit perpendicular to the surface of the AEX wedge when you first begin to countersink. However, the countersink is supposed to be enlarged enough to receive the dimple of the skin. When you countersink on both sides, the hole left in the middle will be slightly larger than #40. Even if the countersinks on either side of the AEX wedge are slightly oblong, if the dimple fits (i.e. the materials are flush), then you're good. The fastened strength of these materials is further aided by the Pro Seal between the layers. In the end, you will have a very strong connection. The idea is to the get the double flush rivets set nice and flush... Have fun! :)

Vans wants you to match drill perpendicular to the chord line. Then they want you to countersink perpendicular to the trailing edge face. How did anyone mahange this? The #40 countersink won't go in perpendicular to trailing edge face?..
Thanks in advance:)

I made a little wooden guide block roughly 1" long and a 1/2" square with one side angled so when placed against the skin next to a hole would give me a vertical reference perpendicular to the chord line. I then placed the drill bit against the block which set the angle and drilled--worked like a charm.

Back