What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 vs Midget Mustang

10 G

As far as i know Midget Mustang is quite nervous airplane, however has anyone flew both of them?

Well ... I am asking here I will ask on Midget mustang yahoo group .... and the average will be unbiased :)

Not sure...

...how the MM's fly compared to a 3, but there's one person in my local EAA chapter who's flown both the MM and an RV-6. My only comment would be that, every time I see him at the airport, he's flying his RV, not the MM.

Depends...

As far as i know Midget Mustang is quite nervous airplane, however has anyone flew both of them?

10G,
I have flown both, the MM1 being faster for the HP, smaller cockpit and faster on final. It's flight controls are well balanced, not twitchy. It is a great design. The MM1 is a great at what it was designed for,racing.
The RV3 is better STOL, more docile and roomier with better visibility. The RV3 is a better Sport plane..

My favorite single seater? The F-16 of course...:)

Ciao!
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
MM

The stall characteristics of the Midget Mustangs can vary considerably between airplanes, mostly depending on how the leading edge is formed. The stall will vary accordingly and can be rather nasty, especially from a high g pull.
The MMI was designed by an aeronautical engineer, Dave Long. It was not designed to be a racer but met the requirements of the era for Goodyear Racers and several were raced. It was not competitive with the faster racers. They are very nice flying airplanes except for the stall. Not as twitchy as a Cassutt and more stable.
The MMI at one point was to be a certified production airplane. Dave Longs death on a test flight ended that plan. It was to be built by Schweitzer Aircraft. Dave Long was a Piper engineer.

thank you guys for your input....

as I see it, lets say that I have 70 K budget, for this money I can build an facy rv 7, which is great, but it wont fly like 3 or MM. So there are 3 options:

1. build rv7

2. built rv 3, and spend the rest on renting, when in need for 2 seater

3. buy nice flying plane for 40-50K + buy unfinished MM project

You in US are sooo lucky.... searching the web I have found some unfinished MM, Pitts project for a few K, I bet that you can finish an project with an "russian style" overhouled O 200 for less than 20K!!!!

@smokyray: F16 you say, I always dreamed of becoaming an profesional pilot, however when I was 18 y old I mistakenly thought that I cant, because of my -0.25 eyesight.... so I become lawyer-economist... BTW I am not Italian.. just temporary situation

also ... I apologise for my bad english

Only on the floor models...

But can it hover?
Andy,
Not quite...:)

V/R
Smokey

PS: Not to totally hijack the thread but...
At Zero Knots indicated you can plug the mighty GE F110 into full AB and at the cost of 60,000 PPH of kerosene hold altitude. Of course that's 70"s technology, the F22 can climb vertically and maneuver at zero forward speed...a different animal altogether Although I've never seen one on a ramp in Iraq...
Might get dirty! :)

PSS: I found my logbook entry when I flew the Long Midget (MM1) my entry was short and to the point "sprightly little fighter"!

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hill View Post
But can it hover?
Not quite...
Ah well, it might not have gone quite as fast as an F-16, but in my favourite single seater I did stop over the threshold, turn to the waiting F-16, bow at him, then turn back and land :D

Hijack continued...

Andy,
We may be the last guys to actually fly a single seat fighter..UAVs are all the rage..
For now :)

V/R
Smokey

PS: my favorite Harrier story was a from friend of mine "Screech" while deployed to "the Stan". They were cleared hot to strafe some bad guys on a bridge until an SUV drove up with a news crew from CNN. They were extremely lucky that the Screech didn't fire. When they were back at the chow hall watching CNN they showed some reporters watching a flight of Harriers "attacking nearby" wondering why they stopped and left...Screech said they nearly choked on their lunch!

Of course all of this has nothing to do with the RV3 and MM1 except the "single seat mentality" :)

Last edited:
Thought about an RV-4 or are you limiting it to the 3 and 7? You could by one and have money left for tinkering, upgrading, and flying. Flies great and has an extra seat for the times you need it.

have been in a similiar situation, so here are my 2cents

10G,

just a little PIREP here with what I did having had similiar thoughts - however your milage may vary.

After my RV-4 sold to France I was in the market for a RV-3A/B and I placed an ad on the respective websites and here at the VAF forum with my 'wants' and too I checked with Smokey if he is willing to check a plane if and when one comes up.

Actually a gentlemen responded re his -3A which he had not advertised until than and after agreeing the principles of the deal Smokey went to see the plane and wrote a report (which was honest and true actually) and ferried the plane around (well, sure he had some fun as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjkhwVsN4MU). Too, I was able to use his network and the plane got tinkered up a bit and than shipped to Gemany. Smokey, Brad, Ron and Jesse: again a big Thank You, mates.

As the report said there was stuff to work on and a couple of friends have improved a lot since (I am not a builder): partly new wiring under the panel and relocation of the battery (could not brake on the LH side due to the battery tray when LE rudder was applied), safetied all nuts and bolts for aileron and rudder / elevator, new alternator and cosmetics (i.e. fairings …). All great now and the only obvious (maybe it never stops ...) thing left to do is a different offset angle of the rudder stabilizer. Many thanks to Wolfgang, Gerd and Daniel for helping on this - without you guys it could have been accomplished for sure.

So what I have now is a 2010 built RV-3A with now ca. 75 hrs TT, with an O-320 with 75 hrs SMOH and a Catto prop with 75 hrs SNEW (check it out on Randy's Unofficial RV-3 website) and decent avionics.

AND: the -3 rocks! Very versatile (well, having in mind it is a single seater) ie. with tanks half full I am not getting outclimbed by an IO-360 powered RV-8 (if I get some 30 secs. lead on T/O) and than I can cruise say at 4500FT density ALT at 140+ KTAS with as little as 6 GPH to cover 350+ NM or go faster at higher FF.

To mee it can do what the -4 can do all a bit better (lacking one seat, well, say 3/4 of a usable seat when W&B comes into play, at least at my 210 lbs in the front seat) however it looks cooler (love the -4 but to me it looks a bit awkward the pilot sitting a bit too much in the front under the canopy - pls no one of the -4 drivers getting offended - and I love the P-51 look and as I like to taxi with the canopy open).

Well, why am I telling you this ....

Don't let the distance to the US put you off, make good use of the network which exists in the RV community ... and pay back by letting other people know what you have learned (and pay your dues to DR, of course). However you will need to tinker up the plane here either yourself or with a couple of builder friends, very imortant I'd like to say - but is worth the effort as you already mentioned the US market offers way more options.

Too, you could check the quite advanced RV-3 project which my friend Matthias has sitting in his workshop in South Germany (just PM me and I can let you know more details) - about only some 150 - 300 hrs to first flight.

Anyway, all just my personal opinion however you are free to contact me anytime you'd like to do so, Heinz
P.S. I nearly forgot to mention: I partly own a 4 seater still (the PH-ERD) and if you go for a single seater it might make sense to make sure you have access to a 2 seater or such; however on 95% of my flying I fly alone as in this way I can do it all at my pace, I don't need to put anyone else at risk, no one talks to me all the time and I can just shut up, too.

Last edited:
Jumbo thanks for your input

would you mind disclosure, how much you paid for shipping, vat, customs, maybe over PM?

I personally hate when people ask me about... how much I spent for this or that.... and my usual response is you dont ask weamen about ages and man about money :) :) :) so I will completly understand If you are not willing to share this information

Back