What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What antenna / speaker yes or no?

Hi guys.
My comm is a MGL V-10 and I'll have an IC-A24 also on board. Some questions:
1. What is my best deal for the antennas? I think of connecting the handy to an outside antenna as well.
2. Is it worth my while to have a cabin speaker in parallel with the headphones? Switchable or permanent ON?

TNX and BSTRGRDS
Mike

Hi guys.
1. What is my best deal for the antennas? I think of connecting the handy to an outside antenna as well.
2. Is it worth my while to have a cabin speaker in parallel with the headphones? Switchable or permanent ON?

TNX and BSTRGRDS
Mike
1. Delta Pop Aviation
2. No!

Hi guys.

TNX and BSTRGRDS
Mike

2. Yes!

1. What Steve said
2. Yes. Switchable. There some occasions when you might like to listen to ATIS, etc. without putting your headset on while on the ground. Also, multiple people can listen to the speaker without having to pass headsets around.

Cheers, David
RV-6A

I would think the only time you would be able to use a speaker is when the engine isn't running.

Haven't had a speaker in an airplane in decades. But then, my background has me put a headset on as soon as I get in the cockpit - every time.

Paul

I have a "truckers" speaker and use it occasionally to listen to ATIS while I'm doing my preflight. My Icom A-210 has a separate Speaker output, so I figured I might as well use it. If my headset died in flight, I might (?) be able to hear it. It has an on/off switch.

It can be done

I would think the only time you would be able to use a speaker is when the engine isn't running.

You obviously didn't learn to fly in the 70"s...:D

No headsets and all communication was by shouting to passengers or listening to the radio speaker and using a hand-held microphone.

Probably why there are so many old, deaf instructors....

With a little research, it's pretty easy to roll your own comm & nav antennas.

Speaker? Your call. I haven't had one since I quit training in a C152 & swithced to a Luscombe 8A around 1990.

Charlie

....my background has me put a headset on as soon as I get in the cockpit - every time.

Paul

Paul, I always start the engine with headset OFF. If there's a mechanical problem in the engine, it is typically most pronounced during a cold start... so I'm actively listening to the engine for the first few seconds before donning the headset.

I do this with all my motorized vehicles. Cars too, with first start of the morning I leave the door open so I can hear the engine better.

Heinrich

PS: I just installed a speaker in my -6, since the GMA 245 has an output for that, and I listen to ATIS while the G3X boots up. I don't start the engine until then, so that I have oil pressure indication during startup.

You obviously didn't learn to fly in the 70"s...:D

No headsets and all communication was by shouting to passengers or listening to the radio speaker and using a hand-held microphone.

Probably why there are so many old, deaf instructors....

:) I meant in an RV inflight, basically. Yep, been there, done that, approx 1,000 hrs instructing in C-150 and PA-28, no earphones, no earplugs, no intercom, only a speaker. Then came portable intercoms!

Times DO change for the better!

TNX

Gentlemen, thank you all. As always, opinions differ but I know where I am in the crowd. Too notes: Gil, I obviously took flying lessons in the '70s, in C152s and it was exactly like you said. But I look around me and I see it is 2017 so I wanted more than just my nostalgies. And rv7charlies, you gave the answer I most expected. Can I start that research with you?
BSTRGRDS
Mike

Paul, I always start the engine with headset OFF. If there's a mechanical problem in the engine, it is typically most pronounced during a cold start... so I'm actively listening to the engine for the first few seconds before donning the headset.

I do this with all my motorized vehicles. Cars too, with first start of the morning I leave the door open so I can hear the engine better.

Heinrich

I get what you're saying Heinrich, but I don't think I have ever missed an odd sound during start-up that I would have caught without a headset. Headsets attenuate, they don't make sounds disappear. But obviously - what works for you works for you.

I grew up in Minnesota - starting a car with the door open at -40 degrees would just have been cruel and unusual..... ;)

Paul

Missing noises

I get what you're saying Heinrich, but I don't think I have ever missed an odd sound during start-up that I would have caught without a headset. Headsets attenuate, they don't make sounds disappear. But obviously - what works for you works for you.

Paul

Perhaps not completely disappear, but our latest noise-cancelling headsets can cause us to miss sounds - even the FAA warned us in 2007...:)

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...4c9fdefa9186257f03007b6986/$FILE/CE-16-08.pdf

Seems like an advisory for commercial operators was extended to general aviation. This is the original one referenced in the above link -

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...afety/info/all_infos/media/2007/info07001.pdf

Specifically mentioned, masking of -

* Abnormal mechanical noises or abnormal engine sounds

I like the idea of starting the engine with headsets off.

Back