What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CA Compliant Primers

artthompson

I'm New Here
Hello all! I'm starting my build, and have decided that I do in fact want to prime my parts (yes, even the alclad ones).

After much research, I had finally decided to use DuPont 615s/616s. When I tried to figure out where to get it today, I realized that since I live in the Great State of California :)mad:) I cannot get this, or similar primers.

Does anyone have experience with a comparable CA compliant solution?

These environmental concerns are why we dealing with the issues associated with powder coated components as that currently powder coating is assumed to be environmentally responsible.

When I went on the Robinson Helicopter maintenance course many years ago, the instructor told us that the current California VOC compliant primer and paint system that they are forced to use is no where near a good as the earlier systems they used. He claimed the corrosion protection and durability was drastically reduced.

AKZO two part epoxy primer, the avocado green color stuff, ships right to my door in Trinidad, CA. I have primed all parts with this stuff and it is awesome. I cant recommend it enough. Bulletproof. Makes everything look very professional and is quite forgiving. Used a 40 dollar HPLV gun from Harbor Freight to spray all parts. Ninety-five percent of my aluminum work is done (need to update my signature stats) so I have plenty of experience with it. FWIW I have zero experience with other epoxy primer brands.

I was hoping to avoid the Epoxy primers and the increased prep work that’s involved, and go with a nice self-etch, but it appears CA isn’t going to let me; I’m not looking forward to the extra work.

I may just end up using the Zinc Chromate we have on the shelf at work.

I was able to buy SEM self etching paint locally in 2007. Not as durable as the epoxies of course but with proper surface prep seems to have stuck okay.

I was able to buy SEM self etching paint locally in 2007. Not as durable as the epoxies of course but with proper surface prep seems to have stuck okay.

Yeah, I was looking at that as an option. Wasn?t sure how the corrosion resistance on it was though.

Yeah, I was looking at that as an option. Wasn?t sure how the corrosion resistance on it was though.

Me neither. On alclad skins I just used the SEM. On non-alclad stringers I used SEM overcoated with zinc chromate. No data, that?s just what I did. LVK is probably drier than CCR, in general.

Me neither. On alclad skins I just used the SEM. On non-alclad stringers I used SEM overcoated with zinc chromate. No data, that?s just what I did. LVK is probably drier than CCR, in general.
The concern isn't so much CCR or CA in general, but if the plane leaves the state for extended periods of time (or I sell it).

Waiting to hear back from some local sources on Akzo (found a local guy who has experience with it who can help).

The concern isn't so much CCR or CA in general, but if the plane leaves the state for extended periods of time (or I sell it).

Waiting to hear back from some local sources on Akzo (found a local guy who has experience with it who can help).

Check the EXACT regulations in your area, there are usually exceptions for home, hobby use.

If you are in the Bay Area AQMD then this little bit may let you paint with those nasty VOC primers.

http://www.baaqmd.gov/~/media/files/planning-and-research/rules-and-regs/reg-08/rg0801.pdf?la=en

A friendly phone call may help if you can reach the correct person...:)

All of the rules are here -

http://www.baaqmd.gov/rules-and-compliance/current-rules

Check the EXACT regulations in your area, there are usually exceptions for home, hobby use.

If you are in the Bay Area AQMD then this little bit may let you paint with those nasty VOC primers.

http://www.baaqmd.gov/~/media/files/planning-and-research/rules-and-regs/reg-08/rg0801.pdf?la=en

A friendly phone call may help if you can reach the correct person...:)

All of the rules are here -

http://www.baaqmd.gov/rules-and-compliance/current-rules

My issue is the acquisition, not the application

AKZO two part epoxy primer, the avocado green color stuff, ships right to my door in Trinidad, CA. I have primed all parts with this stuff and it is awesome. I cant recommend it enough. Bulletproof. Makes everything look very professional and is quite forgiving. Used a 40 dollar HPLV gun from Harbor Freight to spray all parts. Ninety-five percent of my aluminum work is done (need to update my signature stats) so I have plenty of experience with it. FWIW I have zero experience with other epoxy primer brands.

Same here. Hard to beat this stuff. Shipped right to my (then) door in San Diego from ACS in Corona.

My issue is the acquisition, not the application

You need to check with the industrial suppliers and not the 'retail' outlets.

If a distributor says no, then quote him the regulation, and offer to state you are a single family home location in writing.

Failing that, a short drive to Reno...:)

Back