VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-21-2017, 04:05 PM

Default Pin Style Prop Settings

I sent my Sensenich two blade prop back to Sensenich for upgrade to the new hub and settings. Essentially you are furnished a set of pins which you stick in a hole of the new hub, then rotate the blade until the newly installed pins installed by Sensenich contacts.
I cannot find anyone in the archives that has done this, and I was wondering how well this new method gets the blades equal with each other, and which pin others have found to result in the most favorable pitch.
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903
Old 09-21-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
I sent my Sensenich two blade prop back to Sensenich for upgrade to the new hub and settings. Essentially you are furnished a set of pins which you stick in a hole of the new hub, then rotate the blade until the newly installed pins installed by Sensenich contacts.
I cannot find anyone in the archives that has done this, and I was wondering how well this new method gets the blades equal with each other, and which pin others have found to result in the most favorable pitch.
Stretching my recollection a bit but I seem to remember starting with a number 3 pin. That only got me in the ballpark and I used a digital level and Van's fixture to fine tune it and get the blades pitched exactly the same.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 09-21-2017, 04:31 PM

That would be disappointing, I had hoped for all the bucks spent I could get it right on with the pins. I have the Sensenisch slip on the blade tool to check them with if necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkk View Post
Stretching my recollection a bit but I seem to remember starting with a number 3 pin. That only got me in the ballpark and I used a digital level and Van's fixture to fine tune it and get the blades pitched exactly the same.
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903
Old 09-21-2017, 04:43 PM

It has been discussed in the archives in the past.
As Tom mentioned, pin 3 is the recommended starting point.
The difference between each pin # is quite a bit so most people end up somewhere in between.
Since a smooth running engine requires blades to be pitched within .1 degrees of each other, you have to measure it. Neither the old style or new style hub gets the blade pitch relationship accurate enough.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-21-2017, 06:19 PM

The sheetmetal gauge from Van's, when used with a precision digital level, works very well to set blades within 0.1 degree pitch.

I have my blades set at 71.4 with the Rotax 912 engine. Performance matches Van's published figures and engine/prop run very smooth without need for dynamic balancing.
P/ASEL 1970 Sport Pilot since '04
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
LSRM-A Certificate 2016
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/15 with 48TT - Hobbs now 317
Old 09-21-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
The sheetmetal gauge from Van's, when used with a precision digital level, works very well to set blades within 0.1 degree pitch.

I have my blades set at 71.4 with the Rotax 912 engine. Performance matches Van's published figures and engine/prop run very smooth without need for dynamic balancing.
I've tried different settings, but agree with Piper J3...71.4 works best (at least for me). Both blades dead on..is running super smooth! Digital level is easiest...as you set reference angle as per instructions.
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid

Last edited by Phantom30 : 09-21-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:05 PM

I run mine at 71. That gives me 4850 RPM WOT on the ground and 5540 RPM WOT at 7500' DA. Seems to work well here in Fl where our highest mountain is 315'
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 09-21-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkk View Post
I run mine at 71. That gives me 4850 RPM WOT on the ground and 5540 RPM WOT at 7500' DA. Seems to work well here in Fl where our highest mountain is 315'
That's still a little course (over pitched).
Ideal WOT RPM, at your preferred cruise altitude, during straight and level flight, should be about 5650. That will also give you a little more RPM for your climbout.

Last edited by Driftdown : 09-21-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftdown View Post
That's still a little course (over pitched).
Ideal WOT RPM, at your preferred cruise altitude, during straight and level flight, should be about 5650. That will also give you a little more RPM for your climbout.
I agree it sounds just a bit too course, but maybe Tom is cruising around down low at 125 kts and just not telling anyone

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-22-2017, 06:38 AM

[quote=rvbuilder2002;1205913]I agree it sounds just a bit too course, but maybe Tom is cruising around down low at 125 kts and just not telling anyone

Hi, I'm Doug in IL. In bound is hub replacement IAW theSeninich B revision exchange program. I bought my 12 built/used and it had a dynamic bal job 3 years ago. What to do now. I don't have dynamic balance capability nearby? Any suggestions opinions welcomed. I took the B hub off because of a 1.15 dif in blade angle and it's a b hub??