What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3

I have purchased an RV3 that was built and flown then taken apart. I don't see any damage to any components. I am wanting to do the spar mod and put leading edge fuel tanks in. Does anyone have the drawings for the spar mod and or tanks. I am very new to the Van's world.

thanks,

Travis
[email protected]

You can buy the plans from Vans, on CD, for $10.

Here's the link.

Also, look for their service bulletins and things like that. They have some important letters which might be of assistance.

Dave

April Fool's?

Travis, you're practically in Van's back yard. Drive over there and talk to somebody.

At first I was going to make a joke that you are really Van and asked this to pull our legs.:D

I am curious whose RV-3 you are hoping to bring back to life.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Is it possible to put wing tanks in 3 (not 3B) wings?
I have a 3(A) with the spar mods done, and would definitely consider putting wing tanks in to replace the fuselage tank if it can be done relatively easily.

I've considered replacing the wings with quick build B type, but it's just too much work and expense.

Although I didn't build my -3, it first flew in 1981 and had wing tanks so I know it can be done. Mine had the spar mods as well.

I am the 2nd purchaser of the orphaned plane.

I believe it was originally built by William Soldner back in 1986. I appreciate the people on this forum for the help I have received already. I look forward to seeing more planes and construction on aircraft.

Orphaned RV-3

So how many hours are on it? I bought an orphaned "3A" (120 hrs) in '2012 and I spent 18 months fixing it up, and then flew it for a year and 50 hrs. My inspection revealed some cracks in the front VS spar, where it attaches. The builder / owner had stop drilled the cracks and put a doubler over them. I decided to just order in $110 in metal, and built a new VS to solve that problem. Enjoy the rebuild and flights...fun a/c to fly!

Doug

RV3A sold
RV9A Mazda 13B / FWF

Back