What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is the American king ak-450 elt still legal to install?

KitfoxJoe

Hello all, getting to the stage where I need to start planning the elt install. Is the American ak-450 still legal? I know the new elts use the higher 406 mhz.

Hello all, getting to the stage where I need to start planning the elt install. Is the American ak-450 still legal? I know the new elts use the higher 406 mhz.

At this time there is no mandate to install 406 Mhz ELT. A 121.5 Mhz ELT is still legal.

121.5 mhz

The biggest issue from what I've read is that there are fewer assets monitoring 121.5 mhz anymore. My old AWACS does it as a routine as we'd transit across the country, but not sure how many other platforms do that regularly.

In the big scheme of things therefore it comes down to how long will it take for someone to pick on 121.5 vs. the newer 406 freq if you go down in a remote location, etc...

Doug Lomheim
RV-9A Mazda 13B FWF

At this time there is no mandate to install 406 Mhz ELT. A 121.5 Mhz ELT is still legal.

And so I went with the old unit with the 8...the reasoning being I don't fly over areas not covered with cell phone service hardly ever and it will summon help quicker than anything. When i ditched the Subby 7A in a field the 911 call had a TV chopper over head in about 10 minutes and the local sheriff shortly after.

Back