What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help needed to check-fit spars

scsmith

Well Known Member
Hi,
I'm looking for someone in Northern California or Southern/Central Oregon that has an RV-8 with the wings off. Either under construction or complete but happen to have wings off. I will come to you.

I want to do a check-fit of the bolt pattern on the spar bolts for my tapered wing project. I will either bring a stub spar to check fit into your fuselage, or a dummy F-804 center section to check fit to your wings. I will use slightly undersize bolts so no chance of hurting your spars or center section.

Thanks.

Hey Steve----Vans is right there, and Synergy is close too. Oh, daa, Vans might not want you checking a pattern for a non-Vans aircraft. Tell them you are making a stub mockup to mount a rolling dolly. :eek:

Tom

Tapered wing? I'm intrigued! Do you have a concept or anything you might share on details or how it may look?

Hey Steve----Vans is right there, and Synergy is close too. Oh, daa, Vans might not want you checking a pattern for a non-Vans aircraft. Tell them you are making a stub mockup to mount a rolling dolly. :eek:

Tom

Thanks Tom. Van's is 4.5 hrs drive. We are IFR with smoke over most of the state so I can't fly up there. Synergy is 3 hrs, a good possibility if they happen to have an RV-8 under construction. I'll call them tuesday.

Tapered wing? I'm intrigued! Do you have a concept or anything you might share on details or how it may look?

Adam, these are aspect-ratio 6.5 wings with 25.3 ft span, 98 sq ft wing area.

With shorter racing tips, aspect ratio 6 with 24 ft span and 96 sq ft area.

Airfoil is a mild laminar flow section. Large slotted flaps will hopefully keep the landing speed about the same, and we expect 8 kts speed increase. Fuel volume is 46 gallons.

Construction is all carbon-fiber/epoxy, with an aluminum stub spar that is pinned to the carbon spar and bolts into the standard fuselage center section.

Current status: The first wing has the ribs and spar fitted into the upper skin to form corner flanges for future bonding. Next the lower skin will be permanently bonded to the spar and ribs. Then we will turn it over and install all the corner flanges in the bottom. After all the internals are installed, the upper skin will be bonded. Probably around thanksgiving.

Sounds great Steve, I'll be looking forward to the progress! This is another reason why I want to start on my fuselage next instead of wings! might have the option of going tapered! :D

Back