What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-10 stiffener question

PrescottB787

Placement off stiffener F-1047E-L and F-1047E-R question. Is he aft end of the stiffeners resting on the left and right aircraft skin or the Aft Bottom Skin F-1079. If it rests on the Aft Bottom skin there is a gap between the skin and stiffener. If it rests on the side aircraft skin there is a gap where the Aft Bottom skin meet the right or left side aircraft skin. Hope someone understand what I just ask😂😂. Page 10-8 figure 2 and 3 if I helps. Called vans and got different answer. I am happy with the plane but to be honest not so much with the help line.

Thanks a lot in advance

Placement off stiffener F-1047E-L and F-1047E-R question. Is he aft end of the stiffeners resting on the left and right aircraft skin or the Aft Bottom Skin F-1079. If it rests on the Aft Bottom skin there is a gap between the skin and stiffener. If it rests on the side aircraft skin there is a gap where the Aft Bottom skin meet the right or left side aircraft skin. Hope someone understand what I just ask😂😂. Page 10-8 figure 2 and 3 if I helps. Called vans and got different answer. I am happy with the plane but to be honest not so much with the help line.

Thanks a lot in advance

It took me a few minutes to digest what you wrote. You are going to have many more of these situations coming up in the build. Van's assumes that you can apply some common sense going forward and the plans become more terse as you proceed through the build.

The 1079 skin should be inside the 1073 side skins and the bottom skin. Otherwise you would be creating an edge that would produce more drag.

the 1074 stiffner should rest against the 1079 skin, with the 1079 skin being sandwiched between the 1074 stiffner and the 1073 side skin.

What did Van's tell you?

I just riveted that together today. The order from outside to inside that I did was side skin , F1079 Aft bottom skin, stiffener, flange tab. I looks great with no gaps.

The stiffener is flexible enough that the transition from the next forward rivet (stiffener to side skin) to the aft-most rivet where the aft bottom skin is sandwiched between the side skin and stiffener is not noticeable from the outside. Once you rivet it, you will see there is plenty of strength there despite the fact that the side skin is not fully in contact with the stiffener for a short distance. If it really bothered you, you could form a joggle there but it should be fine as is.

There will be other places where the fit is not perfect. For some reason, the overlap of the inboard/outboard wing skins where they meet the leading edge leaps to mind. I beveled mine to make a better fit but I've seen plenty that did not bother. I'm probably misquoting "Perfection is the enemy of good enough", but, really, these kits are fine as designed.

Back