What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich Ground Adjustable prop

redhawk

Well Known Member
Just looking to hear from anyone who has installed the Sensenich GA prop on their RV8 and how you like the change. Sensenich says that prop weighs only 18lbs vs 40 for the metal prop.
That seems like the nose could get too light with this prop.
Thanks out there!

I've got the 320 version on my RV-6 and love it. It's actually closer to 22-23 lbs by the time you factor in all the mounting hardware and spinner weights too. I have a Landoll inertia ring bolted to my flywheel too (about 12 lbs) and that helps a lot with both the CG and how smooth it runs. Landoll rings aren't being made anymore and are getting scarce to find, but I consider them important on a wood or composite prop RV. Maybe you could find a machine shop to replicate one for you.

This prop is turbine smooth on my plane and can turn the full 2700 rpm all day long. Climb is very good, and so is top speed. I'd imagine it would be excellent on a 320 engined RV-8 too if you get the CG numbers to work out.

One nice thing about the RV-8 is you have the choice of front or rear mounted battery. The lighter engine prop combinations work well with the battery on the firewall or front baggage bay and the heavier ones with the battery behind the aft baggage area.

You can also get a heavy prop crush plate from Sabre if you need more weight up front.

A crush plate is inapplicable to this prop. The hub does not have long thru-bolts like a wood prop does so there is no way to mount a crush plate. A heavy metal ring bolted to the flywheel is the only way you're going to add rotational weight up front with it.

I moved the battery from the back to the front when I changed engines from a turbo rotary Mazda to the lightest of Lycoming O-360, a narrow deck conical mount unit from a helicopter. I think the motor mount is lighter than the Dynafocal ring mount too. I used every light weight part I could, Superior cold air sump, and Airflow Performance fuel injection. I reduced the aircraft weight 71 pounds.
The battery cable from the back was weighed after it was removed, greater than 3.1 pounds!
I removed a 2 blade CATTO, and installed an 3 blade CATTO.
I mounted the cut down battery box on the fire wall, similar to VAN's plans. I still use an Odyssey PC-680 battery.
I wouldn't mount any weight to the crankshaft because I plan to do aerobatics and don't want to add stress to the crankshaft.
Right now, I should carry 25# ballast in the forward baggage locker to carry a 200# passenger. Solo flight is a joy.
I can add an inverted oil system for a favorable CG shift if I eventually compete in intermediate aerobatics, but keeping the weight down is a primary goal, so no carpet or wall panels etc.
I wish I had installed Grove Aluminum gear...and I'm looking at lighter tail wheels.
I wouldn't put the battery in the baggage well, the firewall position is farther forward for your CG concern and safer in the event of a lead acid battery explosion or a LiFePO4 battery melt down. Also the baggage floor is one of the possible smoke tank locations, so you may want to keep that option open.

GA prop

Great input so far and am seeing the merits of this prop possibly.
I did a quick CG calculation of my 8 with this prop, and the change would only move the CG about 1" aft. I normally fly solo with a 25lb sand bag on the aft baggage floor as it make the plane handle better on landing, but with this prop I can eliminate that and end up with a even lighter empty weight.
Simplicity+Weight reduction+Pitch options+Better performance+more $$ left over for honey-do's vs the full on expensive and more complex CS prop conversion!

I saw this prop at Oshkosh and have been giving it some serious consideration. I have been debating in my own mind the value of a ground adjustable prop, as it seems like a rather lengthy process to adjust it since it would include R&R of the spinner. Is all that effort worth the value of a blade change from flight to flight? Maybe changing from a cruise setting to a climb setting for occasional short fields would be handy, but what other occasions would you have that would be served by a change to the blades?

For the guys who are flying behind a ground adjustable prop of any manufacturer, how often do you really change the blade setting?

Thanks!

I'm looking at a ground adjustable prop solely for the ability to create the prefect pitch for my airframe. I currently have a wood prop that has been sent back to be "Repitched" and I'm still only able to get 2580-2590 RPM in cruise. With a ground adjustable you can find the sweet spot in blade angle for exactly what your after.

Once I found the happiest setting for my GA prop, I haven't changed the pitch. That's the main benefit... to find the ideal setting for your engine and airframe. I've got about 112 hours on mine now and love it.

Nihon;
The propeller spinner must be removed at each annual inspection on all propellers, which is no big deal anyway.
Sensenich's pitch pin system is very easy to use. additionally you need a #2 Philips screwdriver and a torque wrench for the hub bolts.
I've set pitch on our O-320 powered RV-4's GA prop a few times. Not a big deal.

...you need a #2 Philips screwdriver and a torque wrench for the hub bolts.
The new props are shipping with AN3 bolts and large diameter washers instead of the phillips head #10 screws and small Nordlock washers to hold the front spinner bulkhead to the hub. The newest revision of the install manual reflects this too. Use loctite blue on those 2 bolts. I switched mine out a long time ago after one of the screws backed out, but I also used drilled head AN3 bolts and .020 safety wire in addition to the loctite blue on those two bolts... they ain't coming loose again!

Its been a couple of years since this thread was active. Does anyone have any new opinions on the Sensenich GA prop?

A crush plate is inapplicable to this prop. The hub does not have long thru-bolts like a wood prop does so there is no way to mount a crush plate. A heavy metal ring bolted to the flywheel is the only way you're going to add rotational weight up front with it.

I have this prop and Sabre made a custom spacer for me. Its 8 inch dia x2.25 solid. 11lbs if I recall.
Ive been very pleased except I had to have it changed to the 180hp version to get enough pitch for my RV4.

Very good performance in all aspects

Cm

I have this prop and Sabre made a custom spacer for me. Its 8 inch dia x2.25 solid. 11lbs if I recall.
Ive been very pleased except I had to have it changed to the 180hp version to get enough pitch for my RV4.

Very good performance in all aspects

Cm

Thanks for the reply! I'm wondering if the added expense of this prop justifies it vs. the Whirlwind GA. I will say that the Sensenich looks awesome, and the adjustment process seems really easy.

Back