What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oiltemp?

Selmax

O 320/160 HP in a RV9 shows only 130 deg F after a 20 min. warm up on these days with 30 F. And it wouldn't get much more after T/O and 20 min level flight. Standard Vans oil cooler behind cyl. 4 baffle.

Any suggestion what could be wrong? :rolleyes:
Thanks Pit

Oil cooler shutter?

Pit

Looks like its time to fit a winter plate or vans oil cooler shutter. Basically at those temps the oil never has a chance to get any warmer.
Lycoming recommend getting the oil to about 180F to allow any moisture to boil off.

Cheers

Peter

Inexpensive Fix

While I would prefer the Vans shutter (I would have the cable control attached to the engine frame with the adjustment knob accessible thru the oil door,rather than in the cabin), I fabricated a plate from .060 aluminum sheet to attach to the back of the cooler. This plate is easily attached by using one of the long fasteners already holding the cooler, and a second that attaches to the middle hole already in the cooler flange on the opposite side. For the front side of the cooler, I cut strips of aluminum tape and insert these as far a possible between the cooler and the cylinder head. The adhesive holds the tape in place on the face of the cooler. Our weather in Michigan is not so different than Berlin. I find covering both sides is necessary to achieve about 170 Fahrenheit on the coldest days. Typically, I put the tape and plate on about end of October, and remove in April. This has been working well for since my first flight in the 9A in 2004.
Terry Kohler, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Foil tape works for me

On my RV6 with an O360, I just cover ~75-80% of the inlet hole on the inside of the baffle with foil tape. My round trip on Saturday saw ambient temps from single digits to mid 50's F (KPNA-KSHR). This flight begins with a climb to 14k, oil temp got up to 202. In level flight it was 180. Inexpensive, easy to try, easy to undo or adjust as needed. As they say, YMMV:cool:

Timely post. My (bought flying) 9A came with an aluminum plate the owner said he uses in the winter. It mounts to the front of the oil cooler and covers the entire cooler. Even with that I can't get oil temp much above 160-170. Terry, thanks for the suggestion to cover both sides of the cooler. I'll give that a try. Also have materials on order for a desiccant crank case dryer.
Gunther

Very timely post ....

.... My oil temps even during 70 and 80F weather never went above 172. Recently with colder wx, I saw a max of 155. .... Ugh ... NOT good. My Sam James plenum causes the oil cooler to be mounted low on the back of #4, so there's no access to the front (inlet) face. I fabbed an .035 aluminum blank off for the center 1/3 of the cooler area and mounted it to the exit face, exactly as described by a previous post. That got my temps to 178 on a recent 38F day at 4000MSL. Looks like I'll have to increase the size of the blank off plate, since I'll be flying in colder wx than 38F. (incidentally, I have no room for the cable operated shutter mechanism.)

Verify oil sender ground

Before restricting the air flow through the oil cooler, make sure you are getting a good reading from the oil temp sender. I had similar low temps when I started flying and discovered that the sender was not getting a good ground. I have a right angle oil filter adapter and have been told that poor sensor ground is more likely to be a problem with these. I used a hose clamp around the body of the sender to secure a ground wire.

Regards,

Foil tape

I am with Terry and David. I completely block oil cooler with (self adhesive) aluminum foil for winter flying. I have larger aftermarket cooler and oil temps barely stay in the greens.

Roy makes a good point ...

I too have the right angle adapter .... I 'll take a hard look at some ways to provide a more assured ground. I suspect it's OK, since I do see temp changes conguent with the actions of the engine and aircraft, I.e. Higher temps on climbs, etc.
Given the two wires have internal connections, the sender relies on its threads for good ground - assuming the adapter itself has a solid ground to the engine. it's that latter connection I need to check.

I wasn't sure if it is a good idea to put "high speed tape" on the oil cooler inlet. Your advices to check before if there is a good ground connection of the oiltemo sensor seems crucial to me. Vans cooler shutter with a bowden cable into the cockpit is a smart device to adjust oiltemp. This would be the second step. Thanks to everyone. But no concern about the Vernatherm? Thanks Pit

winter oil temps

The Vans cooler shutter on my -6 did not work very well.

The oil cooler block off plate worked great if it was very cold out. The drawback to the block off plate is that the cowling needs removal to put it in or take it out.

Front cylinder cooling inlets can have partial block off plates installed with minimal design work. Certified aircraft use these with our same Lycomings.

To experiment: Use the stainless tape to determine area of block needed.

Back