What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UV smooth Prime

JohnF

Well Known Member
Because I sent the prop hub in for the 'fix' the plane will OTS for several weeks. I am taking the opportunity to start the paint prep work. Cold temps made me bring the cowling home and put it into the solarium where it is about 70-degrees F. I just put on the first coat of UV Smooth Prime with a roller (as recommended) and used the ratio of crosslinker recommended in other posts. First coat went on well, but looks blotchy, which is what Poly Fiber predicted.

Will recoat each three hours today to finish that part, then sand it. I had already used SuperFil and a single edge razor blade to force Superfil into the pin holes, so I think there won't be any when I am finished.

I have already put 3M Fine Line tape on the airplane where it will be painted, and scruffed those areas with Scotch Brite, so that is almost ready for warm weather and the spray gun.

Will also try to squeeze in an annual condition inspection a bit early now also since everything is 'down.'

Should be back in the air within 5 to 6 weeks.

Last edited:
I would give the UVSP much more time than the factory recommends to cure. I finished my cowling with UVSP and painted a day or two later. My cowling now has little bitty pimples under the paint. They are not noticable unless you really look, but I attribute them to the UVSP off-gassing or maybe to water trapped under the UVSP.

Ripples

Yes, Kyle, that might be why the instructions that came with my product said to wait three weeks after the UV Smooth Prime is on and sanded before overcoating it...some posters I found did not wait that long and had no problems, but I suspect a LOT more waiting time is better...seems all the moisture has to be removed in order to stabilize the product.

One thing I already see after taking the plane out of service is: PERFECT FLYING WEATHER ! We've had wind and more wind all winter (but no snow) and I just knew when the plane was OTS that great weather would appear. Oh well !

Yes, Kyle, that might be why the instructions that came with my product said to wait three weeks after the UV Smooth Prime is on and sanded before overcoating it...some posters I found did not wait that long and had no problems, but I suspect a LOT more waiting time is better...seems all the moisture has to be removed in order to stabilize the product.

Apparently, they have updated their instructions in the last 10 years . ;-)

hello

John,
I noted your experience at the Denver FSDO and assumed you are in the Denver area. I am living and building a 12 in Arvada after selling my RV 6 in March. I will be based out of BJC and wanted to connect with local builders. Thanks for the posts on this site they have been helpful.

Not wanting to slight Kyle, but you listed your location in Atlanta. Thanks too you also! You too are quit active on this site.

Pat Claar
Arvada, CO
[email protected]
RV 6 builder/pilot 7yrs building, 14 flying
RV12, empenage, wings, fuslage, finish & eng. ordered.
N612PC Reserved

Back