What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire brand and source recommendations

glfrdug

Well Known Member
Currently doing my annual and looks like I need to replace my main tires on the 8. Wondering if anyone suggests a certain brand over the stock tire at Van's and a good source for pricing other than the big stores?
Thanks in advance
Doug

Hi Doug,

I have always had good luck and service with retreads from Desser - good prices, excellent tire wear. I've been using them on my planes for over 20 years - never had a bad one.

Paul

Doug,

I've used Goodyear Flight Custom III tires, with no-leak tubes, on at least five different airplanes over the years. They're painfully expensive, but boy do they last. They're in a category beyond mere mortal tires, IMHO.

As Paul said, you can't go wrong with Desser retreads. Desser really seems to do things right, and lots of my flying buddies swear by them.

Hi Doug,

I have always had good luck and service with retreads from Desser - good prices, excellent tire wear. I've been using them on my planes for over 20 years - never had a bad one.

Paul

Yes but the question is......did they send you the correct inner tubes :mad: to match the tires?

Whatever you purchase, DO NOT assume that the tire and inner tube are a match. Call the tire manuf or go online to check the part numbers then tell them what part numbers you want!!

Recently I posted about this issue.

Yes but the question is......did they send you the correct inner tubes :mad: to match the tires?

Whatever you purchase, DO NOT assume that the tire and inner tube are a match. Call the tire manuf or go online to check the part numbers then tell them what part numbers you want!!

Recently I posted about this issue.

I don't ever let anyone send me what they think I want - I TELL them what I want, and make sure I get that. No problems with Desser using that philosophy.

Paul

Tubes/Tire match?

I'm about to order tires/tubes for my 6. I thought ordering the right size tire/tube should be a no-brainer. But after reading this thread, I guess I'll go ahead and ask this rather than order the wrong stuff:eek:.
The following is off the Desser web site. This is the right size tire, isn't it? And, there are 2 tubes with different style valve stems. Which (if either) is correct? I didn't see actual part numbers. Is there more detail that I should specify when ordering?

THE TIRES
500-5 6 PLY RETREAD "ELITE PREMIUM 2 GROOVE"
Unit Price In Shopping Cart
Top of the line. 2 Wide Hydro-Grooves.

With 9/32nds Tread Depth, This Tire Will Outperform ANY Tire At Any Price! Rated "Top Value" by Aviation Consumer®.

THE TUBES
500-5 MICHELIN AIRSTOP TUBE (TR-67 VALVE)

OR

500-5 INNER TUBE (SHORT 90 DEGREE VALVE)
Not Common. Used on some older aircraft and experimentals.

Once again, thanks for the help!:D
didn't really intend to hijack this thread. just...err...borrow it.

Last edited:
THE TUBES
500-5 MICHELIN AIRSTOP TUBE (TR-67 VALVE)

OR

500-5 INNER TUBE (SHORT 90 DEGREE VALVE)
Not Common. Used on some older aircraft and experimentals. [/COLOR][/I]

Once again, thanks for the help!:D
didn't really intend to hijack this thread. just...err...borrow it.

Go with the Michelin Air Stop tubes. You'll never regret it. You won't need to add air between annual condition inspections.:D

This is the....

Go with the Michelin Air Stop tubes. You'll never regret it. You won't need to add air between annual condition inspections.:D

...TR-67 stem, courtesy of www.wingsandwheels.com

5005tr67.gif

Back