What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO360 Mixture bracket installation

papamike

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I have an Aerosport IO360 with a Superior cold air sump and Silverhawk servo. I'm installing (or trying to) the VA-164 mixture bracket that's supposed to attach to the sump. There is a plug in the sump right at that exact spot that prevents the bracket from going into place.

I did read on one builder's site where he had the plug machined down to allow the bracket to be placed there, but I wanted to verify that. There's not a lot of material on the bracket to trim it, either, but maybe a combination of both actions will work...

Any ideas? Thanks

20180927_085814.jpg

On my lyc 200 I removed the bracket and went straight to the mixture arm. Never understood why Vans added all that monkey motion. Certainly wasn't needed on my configuration.

I replaced that plug with one that was shorter. Still prevented a good fit. I then cut out part of the bracket and welded on reinforcements. Looks original and has worked well. I copied others doing similar. Can send pix if u send me your email.

PS: I have same setup. This won’t be the only piece u modify.

Last edited:
Yes I had/ have the same Problem. I milled away the Problem area and will weld some reinforcement on it. But ist not yet done…

ncmpoo.jpg

My reinforcement will look like this:
20a5fed.jpg

Last edited:
When in doubt, get the welder out! I have the same setup (see sig block), made mine based on the Vans design, but obviously with bigger legs.

Without a welder you have two options: Take the plug out and grind it down so it'll sit flush or tap the threads in the pump deeper (obviously using the right sized pipe tap).

I honestly have no idea why that plug is there in the first place, and noone using injection is going to use that port so if I was you, Id grind it down, and seal it in with Locktite 567 or something and consider it permanently sealed.
2gsg37d.jpg

Back