What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft Left Baffle .. how?

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
How did you guys attach your aft left engine baffle? I can't find an angle of attack to get it installed.

Few choice words, some magic dust, etc. It is a wrestling match. Don't hesitate to use some brute strength. :)

The only baffle that I needed to trim a little to fit was the forward left one. The aft left gets hung up on something then pops into place. Make sure also it's in place around the valve cover (pretty chrome) :)as that sets the proper angle for seating the back.

Just went and tried 100 new different ways to try to install it .. I must be missing something obvious lol .. time to take a break and come back to it later :D please keep the suggestions coming though :eek:

Hard to describe but......start the baffling piece at a 45* angle both horizontally and vertically from how the rear baffle will sit on the the engine (slide the baffling in from the top of the engine). Make sure the corresponding lower portion of the baffling fits over the barrel (not the larger head portion) and slightly twist and lower into position. Seems the barrel to head transition of the baffling was the main culprit of the piece not fitting.

Screws

I recommend attaching the pieces together with structural screws or bolts. It will make you swear every time it needs to be removed.

I trimmed most pieces, but it's been too long to remember exactly what. I've removed that piece multiple times since though, and the above paraphrasing is my best at describing it. As I recall you can't be too shy about it, mine wasn't painted but I don't think I could install it without a scratch.

I did not do any trimming - just finess, encouragement, brute strength and 2 sets of hands. Popsicle sticks can help at pressure points to encourage while reducing scratching engine paint and/or powder coating.

Got it! Thanks everybody for the help :)

Now .. where to order red Lycoming touch up paint to fix the collateral damage .. not terrible, but still got some scratches.

I haven't completely thought it through but it seems that it would be a lot easier to install at least the top aft the baffles before the engine gets mounted.

Last edited:
Got it! Thanks everybody for the help :)

Now .. where to order red Lycoming touch up paint to fix the collateral damage ..

oTb.jpg

Back