What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Powered Heated Vest?

terrykohler

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any experience with these? I like the thought of not having to plug into the A/C power. For motorcycles, one of the leading brands appears to be Jett out of Australia. Their unit has a remote RF controller, which I'm not sure would be compatible with the electronics in my plane. Any opinions?
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

I haven't used one in an aircraft, but I've been riding with electrically heated vests and jacket liners for 30+ years. They make it possible for me to ride year-round. I don't do that as much anymore, but for almost 20 years I was committed rain or shine. I would think that in an aircraft a temperature controller would be important, since you don't have the icy blast on you as on a bike.

My current jacket liner is from Firstgear, but all of them are probably good. I use it with an optional wired controller from the same manufacturer. Probably a safer choice than a wireless gadget if you are concerned about interference. I think most manufacturers of motorcycle heated gear have a wired option.

While you could run it on a battery, I don't see an issue with plugging it into the aircraft power. It's a simple resistive load. If your charging system has the capacity, it's no worse than leaving a landing light on.

Interesting that you should ask at this particular time as mine just showed up on the door step when I got home, so, of course, I haven't tried it yet. I am testing the waters one toe at a time and got a real cheapy one form the Sportsman's Guide. Once I try it out, I'll let you know. What I really would like is par of battery powered pants.

As long as there is sun shining through the canopy my top half stays pretty warm, but my legs do get cold.

I have two. A Harley jacket that plugs in and a Milwaukee Tools jacket that has a battery. Don't know who makes it for them. They are very effective and should be regulated with a rheostat or controller of some kind.
I rarely wear them as the RV heater works fine with the temps I fly in most of the time. I do use them occasionally in the biplane but with 115 mph wind in your face, cold is cold so I don't fly it much below 60f deg.
One thing to consider, and perhaps affects my decision to wear them;
Harley is 100% Nylon and MT is 100% Polyester. Not necessarily the best materials for a flight jacket.

Oh Mercy Yes!!!

My wife has a battery powered Gerbing vest. She wears it under a jacket. We have made the round trip from Pinedale WY (PNA) to Sheridan WY (SHR) in our RV6 several times in the last few months (new grandson:cool:). Last Saturday when we took off it was -6F. When we landed she commented that she may have had the vest turned up a little much, as she was getting a little too warm! She also has recess duty at school 2-3 times each day. They don?t cancel outdoor recess here unless it is way below zero. Since I got her the vest she does fine. And I assure you she is not the ?hardy outdoors? type! More like Wyoming Barbie;). I mentioned this thread asking if the battery powered clothing is worth it. Her response, ?OH MERCY YES?!!!

Along with the vest, make sure your canopy is reasonably well sealed. $5 invested in ?V? shaped weather stripping eliminated 98% of the leaks in mine.

Back