What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vettermans Fly IN

Badland Fly-in pics

Here's some pics Casey and I, (mostly Casey) took of the Badlands Fly in trip. We had a good time, met some new friends, and saw many very nice RV's. Larry & his friends put on a really one of a kind event! We're headed back home tomorrow. Winds on the way up were strong per the EFIS pics.

Hit the link below and then the slideshow button.

http://picasaweb.google.com/JJSchneiders/BadlandsRVFlyIn?authkey=Gv1sRgCPCT-KOiyOGnpgE#

Last edited:
Jay...

Some of us have to work, even weekends :D

When you get home, PLEASE fly over to Arlington Muni.....I have owned my C-140 for 6-months, and have yet to fly in it!

You fly over, we'll roll your bird into my hangar, and let's go fly the screaming C-140:)

Maybe next year

I had really hoped to make it. But after a lazy summer, I got busy at work. The lazy summer was nice, though:) Got to replace my canopy, fly my 6, climb mountains, catch fish:cool:
Jay, stop by again sometime.

no pics

i still do not know how... and today is football..........
Super fun fly in. Larry does a great job. If you missed this one, boy ,,, I don't know what to do with you.??? I guess we party with the ones we find out there........

Dave, we passed you this morning,,,,, Hot Springs, SD to Heber City, UT,,, 499 NM. I waved on the pass. Wish you could have come to Vettermans.
We flew the Flaming Gorge on the Green River,,,,,,,,WOWWWW!!!

Last edited:
A great time had by all

The Badlands Fly-in was a great success. I think Larry and I counted 53 planes this morning before everyone left. I met some great new people and caught up with some I haven't seen for a long time. It was really amazing how far people flew to attend. I saw one pin in the map in SE Georgia but there was no name given.

I camped at the field and the first plane off this morning was around 3:30AM heading for Tennessee (I think).

There were a lot of planes in the air for the sight-seeing tour and I was impressed by how well everyone reported their positions along the route. Good job guys.

I do hope Larry and HSR Fueling, LLC does this again next year. I'll be there.

Just back from SD

Here' me and my buddy Mike. (Mike's a great pilot and we had a great time on the trip.)
xlf8d0.jpg

Our unplanned visit to Pocahontas, IA (Just past Nowhere)
2i8gigz.jpg

Sweet FBO loaner car (yes the spot light worked! The hornets nest in the truck added to the experience)
sy1rnp.jpg

Mike plunging the toilet at the FBO in Pocahontas, IA (It was not my fault! We spent about 4 hours at the FBO and it was great accomodations)
262p2y1.jpg

Mike and the ramp when we arrived(Most of the planes were out flying when we arrived)
r73vi9.jpg

Mt Rushmore (bad pic sry!)
110hml0.jpg

Crazy Horse
or3141.jpg

Devil's Tower
2a9o9c1.jpg

Badlands
14ubdd4.jpg

Departure Sunday morning
24l1qo9.jpg

Last edited:
A few pics from Friday

Here are a few pictures taken at the fly-in on Friday, the 9th.

badlands01.jpg

badlands02.jpg

badlands03.jpg

badlands04.jpg

badlands05.jpg

badlands06.jpg

Continued...

Last edited:
Friday pics (continued)...

badlands13.jpg

badlands14.jpg

badlands15.jpg

badlands16.jpg

badlands17.jpg

That's it. I hope to attend sometime with a real, live Van's Aircraft instead of my Brand X...

If anybody wants a full-sized version of any of the above pictures, feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to share.

A Wooley Mammoth. Apparently there's a big "dig" in progress in Hot Springs. I didn't have time to take the tour, but others mentioned that it's really quite interesting.

It's only a 1:15 flight for me so I may end up going back up for a Wooley Mammoth visit via the HSR courtesy car.

great fly-in!

Abby and I are safely back in Georgia after a great fly-in. Actually, "great" doesn't quite cut it. This fly-in really deserves to be at the top of any "RV-Bucket-List". There was just so much to see and do on this trip that the RV was perfect for, and doing all this in the company of 100+ other RV-nuts is a neat way to go.

Larry, you are quite a character. I'm glad I ejected burnt petrol fumes through my trusty Vetterman exhaust pipes over 2200 miles of America this weekend to come see you.

Thanks,

Don and Abby

web.jpg

Great time in the BadLands!

We first would like to thank Larry Vetterman for hosting the Badlands Fly-in, that being said please read on about our adventure. We left 52F early Friday morning before it got too hot, we made a brief stop in Kansas for fuel and headed for Hot Springs, SD (HSR).

IMG_2186.jpg

We flew at about 7500’ to make our trip more comfortable and it was a nice easy flight up until Nebraska. Let us just say it got just a little bumpy, but nothing that we couldn’t handle. We made it to Hot Springs and we were greeted by Larry Vetterman himself. He directed us to a nice parking spot and we were glad to get out and meet and greet. We cleaned up “Miss Vita” to get the bugs of many states off of her first of course. We wandered over to Larry’s hangar and of course the conversations immediately began about exhaust systems. Could there be any other first topic? We all registered, chatted and walked about to see all the other wonderful planes that were already parked.

IMG_2266.jpg

We were glad to see there was a pretty good showing from Texas, several folks from DFW and few from other parts of Texas. The flyers who were from the furthest distances won free fuel, how about that? The longest distances were Georgia, Seattle, and San Antonio. We had great Buffalo Burgers the first night and everyone headed via buses to their hotels. Walt and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Hot Springs, nice clean rooms, continental breakfast and really nice folks.
On Saturday we were eager for the Flight to begin, we of course were in the first group to leave. We left Hot Springs and headed first to Mount Rushmore, you talk about bumpy. For a minute there were thought we were in a C130, once we did the turn around and were facing Mount Rushmore it was a little better. We were flying about 2-3 miles from the monument, to repeat a phrase from a previous visitor” I thought it would be bigger”. It was still impressive.

IMG_2187.jpg

Our next stop was supposed to be Crazy Horse; somehow we managed to miss it. We then headed to Cheyenne Crossing and flew over Lead SD, I do not think I have ever seen a manmade hole that deep, come to find out it is the Black Hills Gold mine.

IMG_2194.jpg

We then flew on to Devil’s Tower Wyoming what a view! For those unfamiliar that is where “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” was filmed.

IMG_2207.jpg

Upon leaving Devil’s Tower we headed to Bear Butte passing the famous Sturgis South Dakota in the process. Next we headed to the famous Wall Drug near the municipal airport Wall 6V4.

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

We were greeted at the airport by Dave the mayor and jack of all trades in those parts, we had a lively conversation and he gave us directions to Wall Drugs. We hoofed a few blocks to the drug store/shopping area it was hard to miss. We spent a few hours eating lunch, meandering through the “drug store” and all it had to offer.

IMG_2252.jpg

We walked up and down the lovely boulevard and really enjoyed ourselves. After our lovely shopping excursion we headed back to the airport. Did I mention the crickets? No, well Wall 6V4 had the largest massing of crickets I have seen in some time. Every step you took sent grass hoppers hopping here and there. Anyhoo we got back to the airport and had another lovely conversation with Dave. We took off from 6V4 and headed for our flyover of the “Badlands”, what a surreal landscape.

IMG_2255.jpg

My brother in law Rick said it looked like the moon’s surface and he was correct. We really enjoyed the flight and it was a wonderful day, hearing all other airplanes calling out their position were really nice to hear. We were on a joint adventure and what fun it was! We got back to Hot Springs with big grins on our faces!
Our next adventure was a rustic dinner at the “Allen Ranch”, steak and salmon yummy.

IMG_2273.jpg

We headed back to the room via the bus tired but happy. We got up Sunday morning and went back to the airport via the provided buses. We said our goodbyes to Larry and off we were back to Tx; we stopped in Kansas for fuel and headed for home. Now a new adventure began, we were at 9500’ for little while and went up to 13500’ to try and get over the clouds.

Over Oklahoma we realized that was not going to happen, so we spiraled down and dove under the clouds. There were a string of storms in the area so we were pretty low from that point on. I think we were 45 minutes away for a couple of hours diverting the storms. However, Walt continued on and got us through the string of storms. We landed at about 3:30 pm and were happy to be home. We had a great time at the Badlands Fly-in and look forward to it next year.

Link to the rest of the pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Walt.Joann/BadlandsFlyIn?feat=directlink

Last edited:
This was the first fly in for our nearly completed airplane. And what an amazing time it was....even with overnights in the tipi! Storms through southern Minnesota made the flight out to Wall SD interesting on Thursday. But a quartering tailwind that kept increasing into the 50+ knot range at 9500' made for a quick flight back to Wisconsin, 700nm covered in just a bit over four hours. Thanks to Larry and all the hosts. We deeply appreciated your warm welcome and hospitality.

Last edited:
Flaming Gorge

i still do not know how... and today is football..........
Super fun fly in. Larry does a great job. If you missed this one, boy ,,, I don't know what to do with you.??? I guess we party with the ones we find out there........

Dave, we passed you this morning,,,,, Hot Springs, SD to Heber City, UT,,, 499 NM. I waved on the pass. Wish you could have come to Vettermans.
We flew the Flaming Gorge on the Green River,,,,,,,,WOWWWW!!!

Jay,

Thanks for joining us on our first trip by air to Park City/Heber City UT. It was a beutiful day and Flaming Gorge was breathtaking from the air.

We are having great weather here during our visit with our Daughter. Should be on our way back to Wisconsin on Wednesday.

We had a Great time at Hot Springs prior to heading on to UT. Thanks to Larry and Kathy for hosting another great event. Hope to make it again next year. The outdoor dinner was a hit.

Here our some pics after a quick fuel stop at Rock Springs WY and a Star Bucks coffee.

North end of Green River

DSC04934.JPG

DSC04935.JPG

DSC04936.JPG

As we reached the South end we turned to the West through the Red Rock canyon.

DSC04937.JPG

DSC04938.JPG

DSC04939.JPG

Looking back to the East as we started to climb for our trek to Heber City
DSC04940.JPG

DSC04941.JPG

Snow on the peak.
DSC04944.JPG

Echo resevoir.
DSC04945.JPG

Last edited:
Hot Springs Fly-in

I had a great time at the fly-in. We flew the Bearhawk in Friday afternoon after swinging by Mount Rushmore. We stuck around the airport Saturday morning after deciding we would likely have a hard time keeping up with the slightly(much) faster RV's. We left Sunday morning and swung by Crazy Horse and Devils Tower on the way back. I met a lot of great people and had a blast looking at the airplanes and talking to the builders. Here is a link to some of the pictures I took throughout the fly-in. I would like to thank Larry Vetterman for putting on the fly-in. I would also like to thank Tony Phillips for taking me up and letting me fly his RV-9. My first time flying an RV; I think the grin is permanent.:D Good motivation to get me out to the shop and pounding rivets. Oh, what's that? Oh right, school.:rolleyes: I guess that's a problem few builders have to worry about.:p
Hope to see you next year at the fly-in (providing Larry Vetterman puts it on again).

D.J. Roberts
RV-9
Working on empennage.

DJ

Fun to meet you and and family. Give me your e mail address and phone '#...
I am happy to help with your RV9 in any way I can.
Good wishes on your build.
The Supercub will be the best flying you will have in your life,,, never sell it.

a little late....but had a great $600 steak..haha

IF? you are not here,,,,, get here!!! The weather is perfect!!!

I was a little late arriving (Saturday afternoon) from Canada because of the crappy weather. As I was circling Rushmore monument to get a picture I could hear y'all <gr> landing from the Badlands tour. Landed and got the -4 tied down, met Larry Vetterman and had a cold beer eh! (nice after a days flying) ....just in time to board the bus to Allen ranch for supper. Next year I hope to get there for the entire event. Nice to meet Jay and Carol Pratt and I'm sorry I should have written names down of other people (San Antonio, Edenvale Ontario).

Thanks to Larry and crew for organizing....I'll be back next year and I'll bring more Canadian RV's with me

Thanks Larry!

Just arrived home from the Badlands Fly-in. What great people, great fun and great weather! Had a blast, especially since this was the first time I have been more that an hour away from my home airport. Somehow, I actually talked my wife into going with me, although she is (was?) not a big fan of flying. We made the return trip in approximately 16 hours spread out over 5 days (one weather day). She is now talking about the other places we should fly to, not to mention the RV10 she thinks I should build after seeing a very fine example up close at the fly-in. She has said many times during the trip that she can't believe how nice and helpfull "airplane people" are.

Larry, it was very nice to meet you and just wanted to say thanks to you and the others for the work done in organizing this event. Also, thanks again for taking the time to fix the stone chip in my prop that I acquired during my journey.

Regards,

John Crate
RV6A C-FNLY
rv6a(at)rogers.com

Great time

Larry, great time, thanks for all the work to organize it! We did not make it out until Saturday noon due to weather in MN, but still had a great time. 30 knot headwinds on the way out, 20 to 30 knot tailwinds on the way home!

Here are a couple pictures of the dinner Saturday night.
You can see all my pictures here.

P9112809.JPG

P9112810.JPG

Friends Tom and Bernie, at the table with my Dad:
P9112812.JPG

home again

Carol and I made it home yesterday, Tues. Vettermans Fly In was fun. Lots of new and old friends.

We flew over to Heber City 36U on Sunday. We stashed our Super Cub 'Shooter' out there last April. It is in a friends RV7 hanger. We flew Shooter around the Heber valley Monday.

The Borrowed Horse flew 14.8 hours this trip. Hicks T67, Hot Springs, Heber City 36U, and return to Hicks, lots of good flying.
We flew over the Rockies on the way home, Smooth ------smooth early morning.

Still Hot in Texas.

Back