What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What route to take for low time pilot.

Juicegoose

Well Known Member
Guys I've asked a couple people here and there and gotten different answers so I figured I would ask the masses. I'm a low time pilot (65 hours total) only having my license for 3 years. I've been working diffrent places which makes it hard to fly on a regular basis. I really want to build an RV and my thought process was always to build the RV while renting at the local airport to get my time up. Then I had several people tell me to buy a cheap plane and fly the pants off of it while I built. I figured this would be pretty costly especially in Houston where hanger space is at a premium. My question is this For a low time pilot like myself who would love to build a RV but still wants to be able to get up and fly and gain experience what seems to be the best route?

Thanks guys

Build and rent. Rent and fly all types of different aircraft. Get your tailwheel. Get some aerobatic instruction. Build time and have fun.

Not many people can afford to own and build. (I'm trying to justify building a Pitts while still owning the RV-4... Don't think it will happen) These things suck the money out of you like you wouldn't believe.

Guys I've asked a couple people here and there and gotten different answers so I figured I would ask the masses. I'm a low time pilot (65 hours total) only having my license for 3 years. I've been working diffrent places which makes it hard to fly on a regular basis. I really want to build an RV and my thought process was always to build the RV while renting at the local airport to get my time up. Then I had several people tell me to buy a cheap plane and fly the pants off of it while I built. I figured this would be pretty costly especially in Houston where hanger space is at a premium. My question is this For a low time pilot like myself who would love to build a RV but still wants to be able to get up and fly and gain experience what seems to be the best route?

Thanks guys

What route to take...

I very recently asked a similar question about continued flight training while building and got some very insightful (though varying) responses. Take a look here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=49523

Good luck with whichever way you go. Personally, I am going to keep renting, stay VRF proficient for now, and build my RV starting next summer. Then train for my IR in it...so long as I can afford to outfit it for legal IFR. We'll see :)

Juicegoose,

There are two schools of thought in your situation and here is my opinion. You take it for what it's worth (absolutely nothing). You'll ultimately have to do what you can afford and what makes you happy.

1. You can buy a relatively cheap airplane and fly the pants off of it. A Cessna 120 or 140, Cherokee 140, Cessna 150, Champ or Cub. Some are cheaper than others. I'd stick with a tail dragger of some kind. They tend to make you a better pilot and they are so much fun to fly. If you buy one, you'll probably take much longer to build your dream RV. Having a flying airplane takes up building time, plus you'll want to spend time at the airport participating in the activities there. Being at the airport is comfortable and it's a fun place to be. This will certainly be a problem, but you will be able to fly while you build.

2. Don't buy an airplane and get head over heels into the building. I think you could build your RV in two years if you work at it. Find a friend that will share flight rental time with you and fly a rented airplane about once every two months. Concentrate on building. When you get close to flying your RV, get some experience flying taildraggers by hiring a CFI to help you get the tailwheel endorsement or you could get RV transition training. Fly rented airplanes just to keep your desire to fly satisfied.

Personally, I bought a Starduster Too and am getting close to flying my 8. The Starduster does cut into my building time, but it has been a good airplane to sharpen my skills before flying the RV.

Do what you want to do. Everybody will have a different opinion.

David

This is an RV-6A that got posted today for $42000 I think.. you should just buy it now :D

FWIW...my experience

I had a similar question a few years ago. Eventually I decided that with a wife, kids, and working 70-90 hrs/wk, building didn't realistically fit my situation. So, a year ago, with around 85 hrs total PIC, I got TD training and bought a flying RV-6. I wanted something flying while my kids are still around and knew I couldn't build anything fast enough to meet that requirement. Since I bought my 6, I've flown far more than I would have been able to renting. And for significantly less $ than renting. When I have an hr or so to go fly, I just go fly. It's a wonderful thing to be able to do that:cool: My family and I are thoroughly enjoying the 6. I may build later if it fits with other priorities. But for now on my list of the Best Things I've Done, buying and flying our 6 rates near the top!:D

ps-To those of you who do build, you have my utmost respect and appreciation! Guys like me (buyers) need guys like you!;)

I'd fall into the buy one and fly it catagory. Renting makes a lot of sense if you make sure you rent a LOT to build time...but for some reason, many renters find excuses not to rent and end up not flying as much as they might. At $100 a flight, its easy to say eh, maybe next week. The irony is that Owners seem to find every excuse to fly. There is nothing like driving to the field, walking out to your tie-down and zipping around for 5 minutes or three hours. Even thought the plane set you back a load, once you have it, you WANT to justify it and use it. And there is no minimum flight requirement. If you only feel like doing 3 take-offs and landings and calling it a day, you don't have to worry about the FBO setting a minimum hobbs time.

If tailwheel is your thing, get a Luscombe, C-120 or C-140 or other antique TD with similar traits. They are CHEAP by comparison to most of whats out there. 20K will get you a nice one. Don't waste money on Nostalgia (ei, over priced Cubs for 40K). Don't Hanger it and don't feel guilty because its not hangered. Modern wing coverings can last for a loooong time outside. Anyway, find something in the 18k to 25k range and build time. All of the planes in this catagoy burn about 4.5 gal so you can fly a LOT and build time.

Then when it comes time to get a motor for your RV project, sell off the aircraft to fund the motor.

Really, its hard to go wrong either way renting or buying, so long as you FLY a lot. Its all too easy to just let the license lapse and find reasons to not waste the money. Every pilot has done it. Owning kind of forces you to keep at it (but it can also bust the bank if you are not blessed with the discretionary)

Rent and build

I had a 1951 Aeronca Sedan that I flew for 6 years. At about 2 years into the build I sold it (that was over three years ago). That decision was all about affordability. it cost me $400 a month without it even leaving the ground (hangar and insurance). What if you found a major problem with your flying airplane that required lots of time and money to fix?

My friend also decided to build an RV about the same time as I did but he decided to keep his existing airplane. Well, he crashed the existing airplane and has been spending all his airplane building time (and money) fixing it. Not much has occured on his RV project since the incident 3 1/2 years ago. Today, he still has two non-flying airplanes. I'm WAY ahead in my build.

Like I've said, it's been a few years since I sold the Aeronca but I've been able to keep current by renting. I have no worries about the rental airplane's maintenance issues. All I have to do is to cut a check after my flights and go home to work on my project. No worries.

Renting and building works for me.

A lot of people here in Dallas are members of local flying clubs where they have a fleet of airplanes available to keep up your hours while you are in the building process. It's a great way to meet other pilots and form partnerships on airplanes. Here's one in the Houston area.

http://www.southwestflyingclub.com/

Also, check out the APA (Aircraft Partnership Association). You can find other pilots who have or want to partner on aircraft:

http://theapa.com/apaweb/

If you haven't already, join a local EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) Chapter. Another way to meet other pilots. Here's a Houston chapter:

http://www.eaa12.org/
http://www.eaa774.org/

Let me ask a dumb question, if I may (I specialize in them): Any reason you have only 65 hours after 3 years? You mentioned working in several different places. Is this going to change somehow? If you don't have time to fly right now, I doubt you will have to build and fly. I put off building because I barely have time to fly, and flying is more important to me than building.

Building is great, so my friends tell me, but it sounds like you'd be better off renting at this point and getting a chance to fly a lot of different airplanes. If you decide that you (1) want to pay the premium or will fly it enough to own your own and (2) have found a type you really like, I'd say buy it. But you really sound like an ideal renter.

I've found that the airplane I'd buy after 3 years and 250 power hours and a commercial glider rating is not at all what I wanted when I had 6 months and 60 hours in the logbook. In fact, it's two airplanes - a beater 150 with minimal IFR equipment and a Glassfulgel H201b Libelle. Total for both would be well less than $50k. If the budget allowed, I'd get a simple used RV-4 instead of the 150, a big step up. I'm totally in love with tandem seating and a bubble canopy, something that I would not have known before flying them.

TODR

Build and rent. Rent and fly all types of different aircraft. Get your tailwheel. Get some aerobatic instruction. Build time and have fun.

Not many people can afford to own and build. (I'm trying to justify building a Pitts while still owning the RV-4... Don't think it will happen) These things suck the money out of you like you wouldn't believe.
Sid,

I have a new set of S1C plans that I'll make you a deal on. I've only looked at them once. They arrived the same day my wife told me she was pregnant. As I flipped to the last drawing she dropped that pregnancy stick on it. I picked it up, read it, and rolled the drawings up, put them back in the mailing tube, and put them on the basement stairs. They are still there.

As for the question at hand; unless you are retired with a lot of coin, then you have limited amounts of time and money. Figure out what you enjoy more, building or flying. If you enjoy flying, buy a plane. If you enjoy building things, build one. Join your local EAA chapter and bum rides.

Don?t let the low time get to you, I had around 350 hours TT when I first flew my -9 but that was in something like 50 different makes and models. That verity will prepare you better than having 1500 hours in a C150.

I got tired of writing a check to the local FBO for $165 on average every week for the plane and a lesson in a C-172, so I bought a 1978 C-152 and am flying the wings off it! It costs about $570 for insurance annually, $200 a month for a hanger, (although I could ceratinly just tie it down as its a beater), and about $600 for the annual. I burn around 5 GPH @ $3.90 per gallon. I fly it about 220 hours a year and it was the best decision I made. I will sell it to finance my panel when I get to that point. The only down side is I spend a lot of time flying when I should be building!

Buy Buy Buy

Buy Buy Buy!!!

Buy a Cessna 140. Fly it a lot and see what you like, and how you use it.
A coulpe of years flying a 140 will make you fearless. Owning will let you fly more and gain experience. Renting is throwing $$ away. Sell when you need an engine for your RV project.

To TODR

I guess I should clarify. Been a plane buff all my life grew up flying RC aircraft then became an instructor of RC aircraft. 6 year f-16 crewchief at the 147th in Houston and up until October 07 dreamed of getting my license but didn't have the funds to do so. Took the Dive in 07 after moving to Houston and punched out my PPL in a little over a month(check ride at 41 hours). After that I fly when I could up until january of 09 when I was sent on assignment for(what was supposed to be) 6 months. Naturally it's been close to a year and when I'm able to come every other weekend I find myself doing honeydo's in preperation for the house selling and also marriage prep stuff. If i build it will be when I retrun to houston which would be sometime in the next year(early i would suspect). That is the reason I haven't flown much and i guess saying 3 years would be a little much it's more like 2 years and a couple months. I'm a process man and enjoy looking at the process everyone has taken to build there aircraft. my concern has just been building this sucka and then not having the hours to insure or fly it. It seems though that alot of folks just dive in.

Back