What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RVing to Jackson Hole

RV7AV8R

Well Known Member
I'm planning to fly to Jackson Hole tomorrow for a few days. Is there an RV friendly FBO there? I figure most are catering to the jet cowd.

I flew just outside the Jackson Hole airspace last Saturday, and on to YellowStone. The scenery, blue sky, and no turbulence was great; let alone the cooler temps.

A friend stopped there last year in his RV9A. Seems like the fees totaled to about $13. I hear they don't like little spam cans, but that's hearsay...

L.Adamson --- RV6A

We flew in there several years ago

We flew in there several years ago in our Piper Archer II and we were treated fine. There were many other ASELs there including a Long-EZ flown by Dick Rutan. I believe it is a popular flying destination and all airplanes are welcome.

Bob Axsom

There's a fellow there who owns several WWII warbirds and flies them regularly. Last time I was there, he took off in front of me in his P51.:)

JAC is expensive but decent - it does cater to the turbine folks. It's a lot easier now that AF2 doesn't frequent the airpoprt.

Driggs is an alternative, but the runway has been closed for a major reconstruction. It's probably open by now.

TODR

Tie down space is in short supply at JAC due to the relocated a/c from Driggs airport. Phone ahead.
You may be assessed 2 charges. The landing fee is based on your plane's gross weight. The tie-down/handling fee is waived if you purchase fuel.
Otherwise, nice FBO with rental cars, pilot lounge, etc. The town of Jackson is 5 miles to the south. Plenty of restaurants and shopping.

Driggs is still closed

Driggs(DIJ) is closed for another week. Jackson has quite a bit of over flow from there but can probably take care of you. If Jackson is a little too crowded for you, come down to either Pinedale(PNA) or Afton(AFO). They'll take good care of you at either place.

Driggs(DIJ) is closed for another week. Jackson has quite a bit of over flow from there but can probably take care of you. If Jackson is a little too crowded for you, come down to either Pinedale(PNA) or Afton(AFO). They'll take good care of you at either place.
BTW, Afton is the home of the Aviat factory. Not sure if they give tours, but you can probably check out new Huskies and Pitts......

TODR

Alpine

When you are over near JAC stop at the Alpine airpark just south of there through the valley. its a really neat place and the best fuel prices around. The ss pump is on the south end of the runway at the runup area.

Afton has a new FBO building and the service is great. A courtesy car was available for us to drive to the north end of the field to tour the Aviat factory. They do morning and afternoon tours and they really do try to accomodate folk who get there late and it is a small biz operating in tough times so give 'em a break and get there on time. Call ahead for times.

The ECD on the Driggs runway is/was 9-21-09. Dunno status.

Consider West Yellowstone instead

I've been to West Yellowstone, Jackson & Driggs. By far the best I was treated was West Yellowstone. I have been there twice and will go back again.

In Jackson you will be treated by like tourist.

The hailstorm at Driggs that resulted in my Cherokee 180 being converted into an RV-6A also punched holes thru the fabric in the Husky factory demonstrator. I was so depressed about the hail damage I failed to notice that the mechanic (at the vaunted FBO) had shorted his wrench against the tailcone reinstalling the battery and blown a small hole in it. I suppose one doesn't need to be an A&P to R&R a battery, but geez don't you think they'd at least know enough to install the ground cable last?! Got ripped off on the rental car too.

The two parks are close enough together that it's easy to base out of West Yellowstone.

Larry Tompkins

re: RV hotel

Check out the RV Hotel link it may have something you could use.
GWRRA (Goldwing Road Riders Assoc.) has the Gold Book. It's perfect for things like this. If Doug could get an opportunity to look at someone's Gold Book, maybe he could come up with a link or "section" for something similar.
I'm about as computer illiterate as they come, but I don't see how this could be too difficult for someone with a little computer smarts.:) I don't even know how to save pictures from my camera to a computer, I have to get my duaghters to do it for me.::eek:
The Gold Book has been a real "life-saver" for Wingers traveling across this Great Country.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM

I've been to West Yellowstone, Jackson & Driggs. By far the best I was treated was West Yellowstone. I have been there twice and will go back again.

In Jackson you will be treated by like tourist.
I agree. WYS is a much better place to go unless you really want to go to Jackson. It's close to the Parks and you can get a rental car. On-site camping, too.

TODR

Thanks for all the tips. Yes, JAC is full of overflow from Driggs but they made a spot for me among all the private Jets. They are very nice and helpful with getting rental cars etc. But they do charge fees which I don't mind paying when the service is good which it was. I have a wedding in Jackson to attend. I will have to check out Alpine, if I had known about them I probably would have gone in there. West Yellowstone is going on my list of places to land as well!! It was fun top drop over the mts to the west and see the JAC runway!

Any updates?

Is there anything new to say about Jackson Hole since 2009? I am investigating taking a trip there in the next few weeks.

I expect the costs to be astronomical to park for a week at Jackson Hole (could be wrong, still need to call the FBO), I am thinking about tying down at Driggs and getting a rental car to do some touring of Grand Teton NP. Other recommendations?

AO

Is there anything new to say about Jackson Hole since 2009? I am investigating taking a trip there in the next few weeks.

I expect the costs to be astronomical to park for a week at Jackson Hole (could be wrong, still need to call the FBO), I am thinking about tying down at Driggs and getting a rental car to do some touring of Grand Teton NP. Other recommendations?

AO

Wait till you see the hotel prices in Jackson Hole. I am there tonight staying at a Hampton Inn @$259 and in Bozeman last night it was $146. My wife keeps reminding me we could be staying in St. Moritz, Switzerland at that price and have twice the breakfast.

Personally, I was not that impressed with Yellowstone NP. We were thinking there were 600+ people watching Old Faithfull today. All of the parking lots were nearly full.

Rooms in Pinedale are now sixty bucks & up. No tie down charge. Hangars reasonable, rental cars on field. You missed pancakes last Saturday, there were 5 RV6's there. One with a Scooby motor.

Laura and I flew into Jackson Hole last year on the way back from Vettermans shindig.

We were treated just fine, the FBO does charge a fee but will waive it if fuel is purchased-----I did a bit of math and figured it would be just about a break even so we decided to go ahead and buy the fuel.

A word of caution about lodging------be sure you know what you are getting, Laura booked a place online that was listed as only 17 miles from the airport, which I am pretty sure was an accurate figure, only thing is that was a crows flight figure, took us over an hour to drive around to Driggs and up to a ski lodge on the back side of the Tetons to our room for the night.

On final at Jackson Hole.

Badlands%2520fly%2520in%25202012%2520178.JPG

Back