What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

La Veta, CO (07V)

WyoDave

Well Known Member
Does anyone have experience with the strip at La Veta, CO? I'm going to a wedding near there in a couple of weeks. AirNav and Google Earth both look like the condition is a little on the gnarly side:eek:. If it's not suitable for an RV, any suggestions within 40 miles or so?

Fine

Bumpy but not so much that I would avoid it. Fly over low first and look for the stretch with the fewest cracks. Drainage winds over the pass can keep you out of there. Windy spot.

Wind? Oh, yeah...

Ah, yes. The wind. I do recall a number of times driving down I25 and having to crab into the wind just to stay on the road:eek:. Guess I'll just have to watch weather and decide when it gets closer. Thanks:)

Wind.....

Hey there WyoDave,

Not sure why someone from Wyoming would be worried about the winds in Colorado? Wyoming is the state with a wind chain instead of a wind sock. :rolleyes:

Never been into La Veta but, flown over it several times. One never knows how that wind is going to decompress over the "Rocks".

I've been into Alamosa a few times and it's just as windy there but, may be an option for you. They have an OK FBO and you could rent a car. It's about 60 miles west of La Veta. Depends on which way you are headed. The flight down the west side of the Sangre de Cristo's is Beautiful and well worth it on a nice day.

Regards,

Last edited:
spanish peaks or trinidad...

Are you being picked up or need to rent a car?

La Veta is a fine airport to fly into. obviously check the winds. I've been there in a C-152. no sweat.

Other good options are Spanish peaks (4V1) which used to have the cheapest self serve fuel around (havn't checked lately), and crtsy car (I've never used it). It is normally unattended and never busy.

Trinidad (TAD) is also within range and is attended with services. I beleive a rental car requires advance notice. Beware the crop dusters!!!

And if you really need more runway and service options, Pueblo is only 1.5 hour drive to La Veta.

wind, runway, and stuff...

The wedding is at Cuchara, so assuming we can land relatively close we should be able to bum ground transport from family. Just looking at the terrain, I would guess if there is much wind it's usually more or less down the runway? Well, except for the day that I need it to be.
They probably use wind chains there, too.;)
It's probably just tar strips, but on the satellite map it looks like you could fall plum outa site in some of those cracks:eek:

Wind

I would watch the link below for a while to get an idea of how the wind behaves. There is a monitoring site not far from the ariport. Watch for a strong pressure gradient between Alamosa and Trinidad (ADDS winds page). The winds tend to spill over the pass and enhance winds downwind. There will be many days when it is practically calm in Alamosa and Trinidad and blowing 25-30 in the "spillway". It will be down the runway. Oddly, often higher wind near the ground surface in these situations. Not trying to spook you, just prepared!

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?

You will have to scroll from your location to La Veta.

Back